ESOUI

ESOUI (https://www.esoui.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Authoring Discussion (https://www.esoui.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   addon console support (https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648)

hulksmash 05/27/14 10:52 AM

addon console support

Are custom addons we make available to the xbox One or PS3 version of the game? Are addons even available for console? If so do we need to make a special console version when making an addon?

ingeniousclown 05/27/14 10:53 AM

Seeing as that won't be released until December, I wouldn't worry about it.

And, historically, there are not mods/addons for console versions of pretty much anything.

hulksmash 05/27/14 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingeniousclown (Post 8604)
And, historically, there are not mods/addons for console versions of pretty much anything.

Ouch for console players

thelegendaryof 05/27/14 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingeniousclown (Post 8604)
Seeing as that won't be released until December, I wouldn't worry about it.

DLCs ? :D

threemillioncharactersneededormypostwontsubmit

hulksmash 05/27/14 01:54 PM

if only we could sell addons as DLC

zamalek 05/29/14 04:16 AM

To write any form of executable code for consoles you need to sign up for the SDK - which is extremely expensive. Console games are not allowed to be moddable, because the modders would need to go through the SDK process. Microsoft and Sony do have hobbyist SDKs (XNA and Vita) but they were/are severely limited and watered down.

The only way to circumvent the whole thing would be for ZOS to select the more popular addons and deal with publishing them.

Wobin 05/29/14 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zamalek (Post 8716)
The only way to circumvent the whole thing would be for ZOS to select the more popular addons and deal with publishing them.

At which point they might as well bake it into the client

ingeniousclown 05/29/14 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wobin (Post 8731)
At which point they might as well bake it into the client

I wonder if this is the true reason for them pushing the console release back 6 months.

"Our UI kinda sucks... let's give the sucker add-on devs another few months to make it better for us"

zgrssd 05/29/14 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ingeniousclown (Post 8737)
I wonder if this is the true reason for them pushing the console release back 6 months.

"Our UI kinda sucks... let's give the sucker add-on devs another few months to make it better for us"

I don't consder myself a sucker.
As I see it we made a deal: They gave us the Addon API, in turn we would deal with all those minor UI stuff that would take them exessive amounts of time to develop and debug (for the benefit it would make).
So far the deal seems to be working out.

There is no word of god on Addons for Console yet. Not sure how viable lua would be to "break out" of ESO. It seems to be running mostly in the sandbox that the API provides and there are not critical construts (like pointers) in it. Maybe because they are written in .lua they would be viable.
But overall people say it would be "a positive, but unlikely surprise if Consoles get Addons".