View Single Post
04/02/14, 02:25 PM   #29
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by Lynce View Post
*EDIT: Just as someone mentioned, the addons do not seem to have any copyright on them in general. ARR is really not valid here, as it is applied to works of art (paintings, sculptures and etc) and also can only be applied if the person is reselling the work of art and making €1,000+ for it.
Incorrect, incorrect, incorrect. Sorry, but you are just flat out wrong.
  • If there is no copyright documentation included with the work, then it is automatically ARR. Copyright documentation is frequently only included to allow certain things, not disallow. ie if someone wants to release their work under the GLP copyright, they would include documentation stating such.
  • Copyright does not only apply to works of art. Nor does it only apply to works of art that are being sold. It absolutely applies to code as well.
  • Copyright is attached the moment that the work is 'written down', whether it be on hard copy (paper) or electronic copy. The minute it is no longer just in their head, it is copyright protected ARR.

[Edit] Please note, I am not a lawyer, nor do I claim to be one. My comments are based solely on my experience with helping UI authors/artists protect their copyrighted works over the last 12 years. If you choose to take any of the steps suggested here, and if they don't work and you decide to pursue the matter into a court of law, please seek the advice of an actual lawyer.

Last edited by Cairenn : 04/02/14 at 04:08 PM.