View Single Post
01/24/16, 04:59 AM   #3
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
The only thing we could do is a realtime Memory usage for Lua VM. It includes core ESOUI core and addons.

There is already some addons displaying this usage without drawing a chart. Maybe raetia or wikkyds for most end user addons.

After for badly coded addons, yes, it's a reality, addons are generally .. very badly coded.

There are good ones, some others very good too, but a good majority lack of optimization or are just not really well coded. If an user got 19 addons very well coded and 1 poorly optimized, you can do whatever you want in the first 19, the hole will be present and huge.

(that's my feeling after seeing LOT of addons, and not only mines).

It's not a blame, if some of us are pro coders, lot of us are only "week-end coders". They know how to build a code, maybe warned on coding mechanics and general algorithmics, but Lua guru are rares.

Then, there is a difference of an addon which badly use memory and addon which may provoke computer to slow down (cpu usage).

If some addons are known to have a poor memory usage, some others are well known to stress a bit too much the cpu. in some cases, it can be a bad design, in other cases, it's a too much.

A because a wide part of core can be rewrited, some addons may slow down others addons.
Problem can also be elsewhere.

Some devs polish their work, some others not at all. Some others are retired, some others just don't have time or skill for.

One of the first thing I do when taking care of a new addon is a global audit of its quality of code, it can be long, very quick, intuitive, or just depressing, it's just a question of how many time we'll require to do the choice, and choose wisely depending of the answer.

And I also have some poorly coded addons in my list, because, for me I just don't have time for.