View Single Post
10/27/22, 09:38 PM   #6
Sharlikran

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by wookiefriseur View Post
You must have quite the burnout from privacy and virus questions.
Since 2012 either here or on the Nexus. To add to that though, I am old. When I was in school if you failed a test you got an F. These days schools give people stickers and tell them nice try. When a High School student can't graduate they just lower the amount of credits so they aren't in school in their 20s.

I am sorry but I am a big Lewis Black and George Carlin fan because I'm old. Older people like myself just feel the younger generation should know better or at least put a little more thought into it. Critical thinking should be encouraged.

We can't expect everyone to know the technical limitations of AddOns.
It is hard for me to be disrespectful in this case because I feel your point and the OP's question are both reasonable. However, I feel it's a disservice to not beat people over the head with some soft foam object like a pool noodle or a nerf toy, metaphorically... to jog the ole brain cells once and a while.

It is also reasonable that people use some common sense. It isn't really just ESO addons. WOW uses Lua for their mods also. Single player games use .esp, .esm, and .dds or .nif files. So for the last 10 years at least people have known that games from Bethesda/Zenimax use mods and the files used by mods are harmless and can't access most of what the OP is concerned about.

The games do not allow access to personal or confidential information that anyone should be concerned about. Like IP address, passwords, saved credit card information, and so on. The original poster specifically stated p2p and Ip Address. So for those reasons my response was intended to be as polite as possible but my post can not be void of some sarcasm or cynicism because of the context.

Trust me it's not burn out. Why do people think that?

In this context it's the same as someone that gets paranoid about when they see someone is in their car parked by the sidewalk on their phone or tablet being a responsible driver and not driving and texting. Yet, the person feels they are hacking their Wifi.

You could just write an explanation once and link to it every time someone asks. Protect your sanity
People don't read sticky posts. How many times has someone asked about the Out of Date notification and Baertram refers them to my post. As an example, the OP should have asked the author. Another thing Baertram tells people to do quite often.

However, your explanation is good and it is not in the What addons cannot do post so maybe it can be paraphrased and added.

Last edited by Sharlikran : 10/27/22 at 10:02 PM.