View Single Post
04/25/16, 02:39 PM   #5
haggen

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
I know the server guys are busy, but this should be something that they can implement in 5 minutes.

I suppose you have a SQL database for the store and do something like "SELECT * FROM store_data WHERE guild=... AND itemFillter=... LIMIT 100". Shouldn't it be as simple as adding a second function that runs "COUNT * FROM store_data WHERE guild=... AND itemFillter=..." and returns the value instead? Count should not impact performance in any considerable way.
It's never that simple, I'm afraid. There are cases where "a simple count" can kill your database/systems. Keep in mind we're dealing with a massive amount of requests, plus not one but probably a cluster of databases and load balancers and caches in front of it. Also, any changes you make can and will impact other areas so you have to get approval from your project manager or boss and then he/she must talk with other managers to agree on terms of the change and suddenly we're talking about a dozen of people working dozens of hours just to include this tiny little piece of information in the API response. I've seen it before. :P

Last edited by haggen : 04/25/16 at 02:45 PM.