View Single Post
07/23/17, 07:12 AM   #55
code65536
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Yes, yes, we addon authors can do whatever we want. We're not forcing people to use our addons. Etc.

But just because we can doesn't mean that we should. I don't care about what we can do, but I care deeply about what we should do.

And I'll be honest here: I absolutely detest LibCustomTitles as a matter of principle. This library simply should not exist. It does not provide the user any benefit whatsoever and it alters functionality in the game unnecessarily and quietly. Is it malicious? No. But it is a breach of the implicit trust between users and addon devs, and I would never include that library in any of the addons that I write. It's a harmless breach of trust, to be sure, but still a breach.

It doesn't violate any rules per se, and it doesn't warrant any action from ZOS. But, again, there is a difference between "can" and "should". This is an matter of trust and principle. And it bothers me that so many in the addon dev community is dismissing this concern.

As for the update reminders, I have no issue with it in principle, because it does provide something valuable... in theory. However, in practice, it is just extra noise for the user. The reason is that this library simply checks to see if you have any addons whose target API version is lower than the game's current API version. It gives false positives for addons whose latest available (and perfectly functional) version is "outdated" because it has not had an API bump. And it gives false negatives for addons with critical bug fixes within the same API level. Since any user who is using an "outdated" addon is doing so explicitly (since the game automatically disables them every major patch, and the user has to manually reenable them), this library is unnecessary, given how it actually works in practice.