View Single Post
03/30/18, 12:14 PM   #6
Letho
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ZOS_ChipHilseberg View Post
It's easy to know when the ground target was chosen, but the ability may still fail after that for many reasons. It is the responsibility of the combat events to indicate the state of the actual cast. So I'll add the canceled event and I think your best bet will be to map the ability id from the combat event to the ability id of the ability on the bar for your addon.
I think there is a problem with this as well, at least when talking about ground effects:

Combat events don't give a 'cast succeeded' event, one would have to watch out for a damage tick or an effect that has been gained. This is what Chip wrote back in the days when I wrote about that problem (he is referring to the elemental blockade ability):

Originally Posted by ZOS_ChipHilseberg View Post
The casting of the fire variant only has a combat event because it it adds an effect to you on cast. The lightning one does not. This is to say it's pretty random what gets through. There is a rule in place right now that only sends the ACTION_RESULT_BEGIN if the cast time is greater than 0 with the assumption that some other event would arrive immediately explaining the results of the ability. In the case of ground AoEs like this, that isn't true though. We could send down BEGIN in the case of instant AoEs or even in all cases for all abilities, but that would mean for event traffic. What are you trying to achieve with this?
As we can see, lightning blockade will send no combat event after it has been successfully cast, so the only way of determining if the cast was successful is waiting for it to deal the first damage tick.