Thread: ESO vs WoW
View Single Post
03/13/14, 05:27 AM   #5
Vuelhering
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by vasdrakken View Post
Up until gear score came out I did not realize there could be a bad addon that was not enabling cheating. When it came out it was like this great we can figure out what is needed to beat bosses. Only that is not how it ended up getting used. People ended up using to decide raids ignoring player skill is far more important once you can hit the boss.
The key word is in that last sentence when you say "People ended up using [it] to decide..."

This has nothing to do with the addon. Most people were just too lazy to examine everyone. When I used to run raids far before gearscore existed, I'd get lots of folks complaining about other people's gear. If they did their job, there was no issue. Nothing has changed, and you can't blame an addon for people being people, especially when gearscore can easily be computed manually anyway.

Gearscore is just a calculator, but if you substitute the word "calculator" in for "addon" you get something like "I didn't think a calculator could be bad until this one gear calculator made it easy for everyone to get correct numbers."

But you got jaded after gearscore was used in a PUG. I hope you seriously do not think you'll find a great group of thinking people in a pug who would never misuse data. As George Carlin would say, are you of average intelligence? Guess what, that means half the people you meet are stupider than you.

But somehow it's the bad addon's fault. That's like blaming the getaway car for the bank robbery.

That's going to be my new signature.