Thread: ESO vs WoW
View Single Post
03/13/14, 01:57 AM   #4
vasdrakken
Yes UI addons helped WOW but they also had a lot of issues. When an addon becomes required for play their is either an issue with the game, ie it is feature that should already be there, or the addon unbalances the game so bad if you don't have it you are at a major disadvantage. No addon in the later should ever be allowed in the game. That is way to ruin the game. The addon that let you see enemy stats would fall into this. The ability to see the details of what my stats or allie does is great, it is just when you cross that line that you are seeing something the developers never intended to players to have for balance reasons, that is the issue. This is from some one who creates addons and has used them since first time I came across very early addons.

Up until gear score came out I did not realize there could be a bad addon that was not enabling cheating. When it came out it was like this great we can figure out what is needed to beat bosses. Only that is not how it ended up getting used. People ended up using to decide raids ignoring player skill is far more important once you can hit the boss. If should have been a gear check and it would have been great instead people twinked themselves and would get chosen to raid based on that ignoring players who had lower numbers but higher results. I never was on the bad end because I allows killed myself to get new gear when it dropped, so my gear score was always high but I watched pugs pick on someone with a lower gearscore who was doing what they were supposed to be doing. I dropped group but for me that was the point when wow stopped being friendly at the higher levels and barrens came to join us. The funny thing is people trusted the numbers when some of the better gear did not have the highest numbers.

We should be glad the devs are stepping down on people who's mods break the game balance. It's not like they banded the authors they just pulled the tie ins until they can make sure they can not be accessed since if it is exposed in the lua it is exposed to the client.