View Single Post
11/19/14, 02:11 AM   #5
BigMons

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
Just using this topic to say that Minion use ~500MB and sometimes more (saw it at 900MB) in memory.
For a tool which doesn't do a lot of things, that's really huge

A lot of programs which are even more complex currently use lot less memory than Minion.
Win7-64bits.

Thank you
Well, as previously stated by Dolby:
Minion runs its own version of the JRE, its running a virtual machine and that virtual machine is reserving memory so the application won't starve. So its not really using all that memory and we are working on changing this so you don't get the impression that its actually using all that memory. To get the real memory usage you'd have to look inside the JVM.
So I guess it's not actually using that amount of memory. I'm not a programmer, but if it's reserving that memory, then I have to assume the memory isn't available to my system for other purposes, so it is in some way using it. I guess it depends on how you define use. Regardless, it's tying up memory that can't be used elsewhere based on how I understand it. It's not a tremendous issue with some systems running double digit GB amounts of ram these days. To me though, it does seem quite inefficient. The software is in beta, so maybe the performance will get ironed out. I personally would have liked to see Minion written with something other than Java, but again, I'm not a programmer by any means and there are probably good reasons they chose to use Java. I'm in no position to say it was a poor decision or it should have been done some other way. I just wish it performed better is all.

I do have Azul Zulu installed on my system, which is openjdk. Maybe it would perform better if I could utilize that vs whatever Minion comes with, but I don't know.