View Single Post
07/24/17, 08:22 AM   #5
code65536
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Right now, ticking the box to enable outdated addons feels a lot like ticking the "I agree" box in the TOS. It's a standard thing that people do without really thinking when a new major update is released.

That having been said, even though I personally treat it in the same way as click-away boilerplate, I think it's still a nice thing to have, because it's a reminder to the users that they should probably be on the lookout for addon updates. Yes, it's unfriendly, yes, it's an annoying thing that people have to remember to check, but sometimes a little nuisance is useful, particularly since it happens only once every few months.

A somewhat better system would be to make the enable-even-if-outdated option be addon-specific, to encourage the user to reevaluate their suite of addons and make a decision on a case-by-case basis. And this option could be made to persist across major updates, so that "outdated" stable addons (e.g., Dressing Room) that have a reputation of never breaking across updates can be whitelisted by the user.

Last edited by code65536 : 07/24/17 at 08:24 AM.