View Single Post
07/25/17, 04:14 PM   #11
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I really support this request! The curent checkbox is just something like a pain-in-the-*** box that some users don't know what it is about, and others just simply enable to get non-working addons "all of sudden" working again.

The whole API version check in the addon manager is soemthing that can work, but most of the time got no connection to the real addon's functionality or state of changes.
I'd rather like to mark my addons as "compatible" with a certain API version by changing the API in the manifest file, but do not let users check a checkbox to enable the addon. Just enable them!

And show some info next to each addon line, if the GetAPIVersion() function returns a number > than the one in the addon manifest file (like sirinsidiator proposed already). But don't tell the users "The addon is not working anymore" but somethign like "Check the addon's description/changelog to see if the addon is compatible with the current API version. If you encounter any error please consider to update the addon, if available!".

In the end I don't want to edit and update api manifest txt files just because users don't remember to check a simple checkbox, or refuse to do so because they think the checkbox will break their game (no jokes, this was an answer I once got!). I don't have the time nor will to support this any longer :-(