View Single Post
01/04/17, 03:17 AM   #5
Bobby Blue
Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
Plese.. just.. no.
  • It has already being done
  • Your code can't work right there
  • Your code will break other addons potentially
  • Hacking ESOUI Code for 1st addon is not good.. keep after after months of learnings.
I mean, thanks for the feedback, but I have to say that that wasn't particularly helpful for me as I'm trying to learn about Lua. If you're going to criticise what I am trying to do, I'd appreciate it if you at least explain why so I can learn from it.

I've replied to each of your points in turn:
  • It has already been done, but so far I have not found an addon that does just timestamps, which someone might want if they just want simple timestamps without giving their entire chat a makeover.
  • Why can't my code work right there? That's what I was asking in the first place. What's the reason behind this not being able to work? I mean, if it straight up just doesn't work, I won't do it, but I want to know why so I can get better at Lua.
  • How will it break other addons unless they're doing the exact same thing that I'm trying to do? All I've done is insert a little bit of text in front of the message that's gonna be displayed, all the rest is copy/pasted from the original code.
  • Well I have to start somewhere, and this seemed like a simple enough thing to do. What sort of things should I focus on first, in your opinion?

I'm not trying to be aggressive or obnoxious, I just really want to learn, rather than be brushed off just because I'm new to Lua/coding addons.