Thread: ESOUI Discord
View Single Post
05/31/17, 10:32 PM   #19
Randactyl
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I'd be more in favor of an official ESOUI Discord server rather than one run by the authors (or single author) if the purpose is to be more user focused. I'm not crazy about one or a handful of authors moderating a general user forum. Author moderation has been okay for Gitter because there aren't any users and we don't do anything crazy.

In my opinion it is much more likely that a community owned Discord server becomes abandoned than one owned by Dolby or Cairenn or some other MMOUI staff. Just look at one of the 618 addons in Discontinued and Outdated.

As for use, an official one can be advertised on the website. Anyone who chooses to join would certainly be more connected. There are benefits for authors and users to be in a more instantly connected environment. For authors, Reddit and these forums generally move too slowly to whip up an impromptu beta test or to gather a sample of saved variables. For users, it is sometimes easier to provide specific support through voice chat.

If you build another treehouse, there is going to be some fraction of the user base that splinters off from the established channels. If this is going to happen, I think it should be in an official capacity so it has maximum exposure and an air of legitimacy.