Exclamation Inform the users about all addon functions and let them choose

Dear Traveller,

this post is about addons that have have hidden functions

These functions i am talking about
- have nothing to do with the purpose the addon it is installed for by the user
- are not mentioned in the Addon Info pages
- are not explained in the Change Logs or Release Notes
- are enabled by default
- can not be found in the addon settings and therefor not turned off.

I discovered a function called "CustomTitles" just recently and was surprised that authors of well-know addons eg. like SkyShards, LoreBooks, Destinations, AdvancedFilters, LUI Extended,... have this function included in all their addons.

So i ask the authors to look at this and give users a choice and control of function that are hidden.

So far i got replies from authors that have included function like this to their addons. Here is a quick summary:
- "Do not install the addon if you don't like it" - Well the user should be informed in the first place and have an option to chose for functions like these.
- "Delete the responsible files in the addon folders" - The function comes back after an update or (re-install)
- "I am the Dev and i did it that way, period." - Be open for changes and care about the users.
- "You are jealous" - No, users want to be informed in the first place.
- "There is other and worse stuff installed by addons" - Tell us, nobody likes software on their computer or smartphones w/o an optiont to not install it or disabling it. Same with hidden addon stuff.

I am writing this because it is important to treat users honestly, let them know in detail what is included and then let the enlightened user make a choice.

Thanks for reading you and good night!

/edit: Original post and title
Hello Zenimax,

i recently learned that there is an addon/lib called "CustomLibTitles" that allows titles to be overwritten.

Since its introduction this lib has been included into the most big addons:
SkyShards
LoreBooks
Destinations
LuiExtended
AwesomeGuildStore
RaidNotifier Updated

just to name a few.

In their release notes some addons mentioned the addition of this Lib, but most did not.
Also this LibCustomTitles is enabled by default, the user has no opt-out option and nothing is found in any addon settings to disable it.

Changeing titles (and maybe other stuff) can be very misleading - not only to new players - and it could also be used in a harmful and insulting manner.

ZoS, i want you to look into this and make changes. Don't let addons change such things on the fly w/o the permission of the user.

Addons have to get the permission of the user who install it and have a setting to turn it on (default behaviour off).

Or make Titles etc. read-only by default so prevent such things.

Last edited by jpdouble69 : 07/13/17 at 02:22 AM.