Thread: Incentives
View Single Post
06/01/14, 08:36 AM   #2
Xrystal
caritas omnia vincit

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
My primary incentive for an addon is what can I benefit from having in game to improve my game play enjoyment. I find that I am more likely to keep an addon updated and working if I am using it myself than one that I just did because someone asked.

My secondary incentive is to learn. I absolutely love learning new things, but unfortunately I have noticed that unless it is my number one hobby, if I don't keep at it I forget half the stuff. The more I work at something the more I retain for future use.

At present I only have my gatherer addon but I plan to add some other tradeskill based addons over the course of time. Primarily for my own use and secondarily for other people to use. As long as my own use of the addon isn't affected I don't mind adding 'options' to it for other people.

I generally don't donate to addon's I use but then I don't ask for my own time to be paid for either. The only one I ever did that for was nUI in wow as that was a massive undertaking by the addon writer and a small payment to say thanks for the hardwork was worth it for my game play use of his replacement interface.

However, I like the ingeniousness that I have seen whereby in game payment has been suggested. I can see that as a good way of paying for a good addon as a donation/goodwill gesture. I am surprised no one thought of that in wow but I suppose it could be because there were more servers around and it was less likely people on your server were using your specific addon or even knew who you were.

Last edited by Xrystal : 06/01/14 at 08:41 AM.