View Single Post
03/13/17, 07:47 PM   #7
Noobanidus

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by ZOS_ChipHilseberg View Post
Mail being sent is a tied to player saving which happens on zone changes and logging among other things. I believe this is for server performance reasons.

As for the request read, is the RequestReadMail() call just failing to generate an EVENT_MAIL_READABLE? That function has three cases that don't generate an event:
  • Player is not in the mail interaction
  • There is no inbox entry for that mail id
  • The mail has already been requested

It could also fail on no server response or if the server response is for a mail that is not part of the inbox.

You can use GetInteractionType for the mail interaction check. The others ones you can't presently know about. I can add a result as a return from the function to determine if the request was sent to the server.
Like I mentioned in the original post, it does seem to be that it just isn't generating an EVENT_MAIL_READABLE. Unfortunately, we've really no way of knowing the exact reason why -- I would like to assume that it's something to do with point 3 (mail already been requested), with the combination of lag, but it's possible to read all other mail in the inbox at the time.

Zoning, reloading UI, etc, does not allow you to read this. The next time it happens I'll try to take more extensive screenshots and post here with a step-by-step of exactly what happened, but as far as I recall this is what happened.
  • Purchase multiple items from guild store
  • Zone to a new location to refresh mailbox
  • Open mailbox immediately -- see list of purchased items in mail but be unable to click on them
  • First mail in the list is focussed automatically but nothing displays in the mail contents tab
  • Optionally: unable to view the contents of any other mail
  • Close mail and wait a few seconds, re-open
  • First mail still displays nothing in contents tab (no EVENT_MAIL_READABLE?)
  • Switch to another mail and be able to see contents of that mail
  • Switch back to initial mail but see nothing

As I'm from Australia I'm almost always playing with upwards of 300ms of lag. I'm not sure whether this has a significant impact on the matter or not.