07/21/16, 12:51 PM   #1
Asata
Looking for an automated welcome messsage for new guild invitees

Basically what I'm looking for is an addon that can automatically send a message to chat when I or someone else in my guild invites someone to a guild. Something like: "Welcome to (guild name), (@name). Be sure to check out our MOTD by pressing G and clicking Home. If you have any questions, I'm sure someone would be happy to help you out!"

I've found Shissu's Guild Tools but that doesn't work for me. It has more lua errors than you can shake a stick at.

I have pChat but I can't open the automated message window (lua error when I press the hotkey I assign), and I'm not sure if it can even do what I'm after.

So, any suggestions for that functionality?
07/22/16, 05:57 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Addons are not allowed to post chat messages automatically. Addons are able to put a message text into the edit field of the chat and you manually need to press the RETURN key to send it then.

Maybe you can use addons like "Notebook" http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1105-Notebook.html
If I remember right it is able to put text in the chat edit box too. You just need to replace the name of the new joined account then.
07/22/16, 11:41 AM   #3
Asata
Well, Shissu's Guild Tool does it. I don't know if it presses return by itself or not but it can plug in the player name and even the guild name.

Just copy/pasting the name into a message then copy/pasting that into chat would leave me exactly where I'm at right now. If anything, Notebook would be more of an inconvenience as it's harder to scroll left in-game to add a name to the message.

I've looked over the Events and API documentation, and read the tutorial. I've also tried to reverse engineer (e.g. strip out parts I don't want) from that Shissu mod but it seems that I'm way out of my depth with this lua programming language.

Something as simple as detecting an EVENT_GUILD_MEMBER_ADDED then sending a CHAT_SYSTEM:AddMessage(text) pre-defined from a CreateSettingsMenu() is way more complex than it seems at first glance, lemme tell ya. I've spent 5 hours pulling my hair out staring at this damned code, lol. It probably doesn't help that it's all commented in German (which I had to translate) and I think this portion may actually be handled by the lib.
07/22/16, 12:24 PM   #4
calia1120

I'll take a look and see if I can figure something out. As Baertram mentioned, it can only put information into the edit box, you'll still have to press enter to send it.
07/22/16, 12:33 PM   #5
sirinsidiator

Preparing a message in response to the event is easy and would look like that:
Lua Code:
  1. local addonName = "WhatEverYouWantToCallIt"
  2. local messageTemplate = "Welcome to <<1>>, <<2>>. Be sure to check out our MOTD by pressing G and clicking Home. If you have any questions, I'm sure someone would be happy to help you out!"
  3. EVENT_MANAGER:RegisterForEvent(addonName, EVENT_GUILD_MEMBER_ADDED, function(_, guildId, displayName)
  4.     local message = zo_strformat(messageTemplate, GetGuildName(guildId), displayName)
  5.     StartChatInput(message)
  6. end)
It will take a hardcoded message, fill in the guild name and displayname and then put it into the chat input field.

The hard part is to make it convenient. Right now it will simply overwrite whatever you have been typing whenever a member joins a guild. It also won't automatically switch to the chat channel of the guild. There are also no options to change the message ingame, and you cannot choose which guild it should generate the message for.
07/22/16, 02:39 PM   #6
calia1120

I use TOM (Tamriel Online Messenger), which has a catacombs function that's useful for often repeated messages. I would link but writing this via mobile. Again, wouldn't be automatic, but would save you some repetition.

You'd also still have to tweak the message to add to persons name

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Looking for an automated welcome messsage for new guild invitees