View Poll Results: Would you like to see Name Plates in ESO?
Yes, I would like to see name plates added 27 54.00%
No, I do not care to see name plates added 18 36.00%
It does not effect me one way of the either 5 10.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

04/16/14, 08:35 AM   #1
Bryansin2
Exclamation Official Petition to Zenimax to add Name Plates

Hopefully this is not against the TOS of the forums (if it is, please let me know and I will remove the info) but I have created a petition asking Zenimax Online Studios to reinstate name plate functionality in Elder Scrolls Online.

You can show your support and sign the petition here at change.org

http://chn.ge/1imeXpR

I realize there is a great debate going on about this topic, and that there are those who would appreciate this option, and those who oppose it. If you oppose the idea of nameplates, please read what I have to say before posting how much you hate nameplates, and that you do not want ESO to turn into WoW etc.

I am proposing that name plate functionality be added to ESO as an "OPTION". Players would have the ability to enable or disable this feature, which means if you hate nameplates and feel that it interferes with your ability to immerse yourself in the game, you can simply turn the nameplates off, and your gameplay experience will not change.

To those people who oppose nameplates because they feel if will disrupt PVP or give some kind of tactical advantage, I am proposing that restrictions be placed on name plates in pvp, and instead of showing a players name, it instead would show something generic like their faction, or rank, etc, similar to how GW2 and DAOC did it.

*Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and everyone should have the freedom to choose how they want to play the game. Please respect the fact that people want to play with name plates, and respect the fact that people do NOT want to play with name plates.
05/02/14, 08:34 PM   #2
Bryansin2
We have reached over 15 signatures so far, if you would like to see a change show your support by signing the petition!
05/02/14, 10:05 PM   #3
Tonyleila

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Done. Woud be nice to see name and plates at the same time.
05/04/14, 02:53 PM   #4
StealthStalker
I don't care much about the names themselves, I just wanna be able to change some features of the hp bars. Like grow left/right instead of from center. That's it really.
05/04/14, 03:01 PM   #5
Sideshow

This and chat bubbles...
05/04/14, 03:38 PM   #6
Warabeskel
already have this option in setting... just enable them

and for all who love RPG no one love nameplate...
a lot of mmo have this feature enable by default but Zenimax Online try to envolve mmo style to a new age and this is why we love them

if you dont love nameplate-less dont play with this game and return to WOW
05/04/14, 05:23 PM   #7
Attorneyatlawl
Originally Posted by Warabeskel View Post
already have this option in setting... just enable them

and for all who love RPG no one love nameplate...
a lot of mmo have this feature enable by default but Zenimax Online try to envolve mmo style to a new age and this is why we love them

if you dont love nameplate-less dont play with this game and return to WOW
No, we don't have the option in settings at all.

And I love rpg's, I don't love lack of organization tools for groups or not being able to see who is near me readily in pvp or pve. The UI has nothing to do with the gameplay, so please don't get into silliness about WOW. I never have played WOW, but I love nameplates.
05/04/14, 05:26 PM   #8
Attorneyatlawl
Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
This and chat bubbles...
Chat bubbles are officially slated, but even though I don't like them, I support the option being added for those who do. On a side note, how the heck are chat bubbles of any use without nameplates, exactly, anyway...?
05/04/14, 09:44 PM   #9
lyravega
Why do everyone want this game to look like any other MMO, I don't understand. We have something unique, and general vibe I'm getting is, this game doesn't feel like any other MMO. This thing alone is a blessing for me...
05/04/14, 09:48 PM   #10
Seerah
Fishing Trainer

WoWInterface Super Mod
It's not that they want it to look like any other MMO. It's that it is so much *easier* to interact with the people around you with these features.
05/04/14, 10:43 PM   #11
Qwynn
Usually I support toggle options for certain things, as gods know I've asked for quite a few of them, but in the case of TESO and nameplates, I'm actually against it.

Yes, I can understand why people want them and yes, I've used them religiously in past games.

Here's the thing, though: We don't actually need them, and I honestly believe it would detract from the game.

You could limit or disable the nameplates in PVP, sure, but that's only part of the issue. PVE also needs to be taken into consideration, and here's why: if nameplates were implemented as a toggle, anyone who decided not to use nameplates would be at a technical disadvantage than the people who did. It suddenly changes how the game is played by completely changing how the player interacts with their environment. Anyone who preferred the original style sans nameplate toggle is then handicapping themselves (and thus their group) because of this.

And let me tell you, no one wants to be grouped with someone intentionally making things more difficult for themselves (and thus everyone else).

Edit: I also don't consider chat bubble and nameplates to be in the same vein, as the former do not fundamentally alter gameplay, so there is no reason to have them as a toggle if they are implemented in the same theme as the current minimal UI.

Last edited by Qwynn : 05/04/14 at 10:45 PM.
05/05/14, 03:30 PM   #12
Vuelhering
Originally Posted by Bryansin2 View Post
To those people who oppose nameplates because they feel if will disrupt PVP or give some kind of tactical advantage, I am proposing that restrictions be placed on name plates in pvp, and instead of showing a players name, it instead would show something generic like their faction, or rank, etc, similar to how GW2 and DAOC did it.
That's why I oppose it. Nameplates would likely allow hooks which could perma mark someone, allowing players to continually spot them from far away. These hooks could be used for chat bubbles, which is good, but I'm not convinced. They would have to be completely disabled in PvP zones.

The other reason I don't like the idea is because it will start to look like "that other game".
05/07/14, 12:09 AM   #13
Attorneyatlawl
Originally Posted by Vuelhering View Post
That's why I oppose it. Nameplates would likely allow hooks which could perma mark someone, allowing players to continually spot them from far away. These hooks could be used for chat bubbles, which is good, but I'm not convinced. They would have to be completely disabled in PvP zones.

The other reason I don't like the idea is because it will start to look like "that other game".
Allow hooks? Anyone who wants to use/abuse the game with a cheat is already plenty able to do so with or without any API at all in the game. Heck, it would even be super-easy for a novice thanks to those handy dandy chevrons let alone other more involved methods like actual memory access and wallhack-type methods. You can't use cheaters as an argument against nameplates, chat bubbles, or any other random UI feature.
05/23/14, 02:43 AM   #14
thelegendaryof

Originally Posted by Attorneyatlawl View Post
let alone other more involved methods like actual memory access and wallhack-type methods. You can't use cheaters as an argument against nameplates, chat bubbles, or any other random UI feature.
Na-ah actually ESO itself is a bit protected from debug and disassemble -
at least a bit so starters will have some troubles at least ...

But it 's not like Bot-Developers are Beginners that can't simply workaround them.
It 's the same as with removing some API-Methods because they could be potentially abused.
ZOS needs to stepup their game, fix the root of the problems and implement an proper Anti-Cheat*
like Blizzards Warden (better then nothing!) and not implement such workarounds
(even when they have a bit of a point), that more or less only hurt the "legit" Reversers
that try to improve the game (Tex-Modders, Addon-Developers ...) rather then abusing any Mechanics.

(*I didn't dig further in what they did in that regard - so most of it is based on assumptions from my experience )

Last edited by thelegendaryof : 05/23/14 at 02:53 AM.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Gameplay » Official Petition to Zenimax to add Name Plates