04/01/17, 04:00 PM   #1
SteveCampsOut

Exclamation April Fools Addons

If you're going to modify your addon to create April Fool's jokes, please give people the option to disable them if you haven't already. Someone's joke on me today has been to constantly crash/lockup/freeze my game when looting dead mobs, interacting with npcs and man, that's just not funny!
04/02/17, 12:58 PM   #2
MagiczneTornado
Originally Posted by SteveCampsOut View Post
If you're going to modify your addon to create April Fool's jokes, please give people the option to disable them if you haven't already. Someone's joke on me today has been to constantly crash/lockup/freeze my game when looting dead mobs, interacting with npcs and man, that's just not funny!
Yeah, I dont like how many new errors and bugs it caused in game.

Since 1st april my game runs significantly worse, constant crashes, new never seen before UI errors.

So much troubles just for stupid prank on one day of year.
04/02/17, 02:58 PM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
There is already an option in the addon (it's Harvestmap) since over a year.
You just need to check the addon settings, scroll down and disbale it.

Since 1st april my game runs significantly worse, constant crashes, new never seen before UI errors.
So much troubles just for stupid prank on one day of year.
So much ignorance for all the work someone invests in his free, unpaied time, just to please some of the users and provide some fun, at 1 day of the whole year!

And your slow downs is definately not the fault of any of the april fools addons
There can be a confirmed crash of the game but nothing that makes the game slow down or whatever your subjective perception is.

Beside this:
Nobody forces you to use ANY of the addons the devs provide you FOR FREE
Just disable them and you'll be fine.

Or maybe you'll come back and realize how the game looks and behaves like without them?
Perhaps you'll even say "thanks for the addons and the april fool, even if this year it was not running that well due to addon incompatibiliies" instead?

Last edited by Baertram : 04/02/17 at 03:05 PM.
04/03/17, 02:00 AM   #4
z3r05k111
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
There is already an option in the addon (it's Harvestmap) since over a year.
You just need to check the addon settings, scroll down and disbale it.

So much ignorance for all the work someone invests in his free, unpaied time, just to please some of the users and provide some fun, at 1 day of the whole year!

And your slow downs is definately not the fault of any of the april fools addons
There can be a confirmed crash of the game but nothing that makes the game slow down or whatever your subjective perception is.

Beside this:
Nobody forces you to use ANY of the addons the devs provide you FOR FREE
Just disable them and you'll be fine.

Or maybe you'll come back and realize how the game looks and behaves like without them?
Perhaps you'll even say "thanks for the addons and the april fool, even if this year it was not running that well due to addon incompatibiliies" instead?
I disagree entirely. I understand it was all in good fun and I am not mad in the slightest, but like OP I was a bit annoyed and felt it's a bit out of line for the devs.

I feel like it's one thing thing to throw in a small joke, but when it's causing crashes for a significant amount of users... it falls beyond the realm of what is reasonable.
04/03/17, 02:27 AM   #5
sirinsidiator

Wth does that mean "out of line" for an addon dev? The only thing we are bound by are the addon ToS and they do not forbid that we make April Fools jokes or mess up an update. They even explicitly tell you that your game may not function correctly as a result, but you probably never read them.

We are free to do what we want with our time and our addons. If you don't like that, I suggest you stop using them now or start making your own.
04/03/17, 07:43 AM   #6
Letho
^this. Thx for posting!
04/03/17, 09:09 AM   #7
Rhyono
Originally Posted by z3r05k111 View Post
I feel like it's one thing thing to throw in a small joke, but when it's causing crashes for a significant amount of users...
You do realize that none of the devs that made April Fools' jokes thought "ha, this'll crash their game, such fun!"? A few addons didn't interact well due to each other's jokes, which caused crashing. None of the devs knew it'd cause crashing before they released it. If accidental crashing is out of line, then you should not risk using any addons.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » April Fools Addons