11/13/14, 01:23 AM   #1
BigMons

"Find More" search box is nearly unresponsive

I'm very surprised that I can't find a thread about this already. Maybe it's just my installation, I don't know. Whenever I try to use Minion to find new addons, specifically addons that I already have found I just need to install them through Minion, I type the addon name in the search box under the "Find More" tab. When I type in that search box, I think it's searching in real-time as I type. Each letter that I type takes several seconds to show up in the box. It's very slow at responding. Why can't I just type the name and then click "search" when I have it all typed? The entire interface is very slow and unresponsive imo.

Also, is there any plan to have an option on the website on an addon page that I can click that says something like "install with minion"? Curse has this for WoW addons. I rarely looked for addons within curse client. I found it on the website and then clicked the button on the site and it opened curse client and installed. The minion interface is so slow that installing several addons with it is painful. Would be better if I could queue up some addons and then batch install from the website or something.

EDIT: I just also noticed that Minion is using 525,000 K of memory (private working set) when I'm on the find more tab and searching for an addon. That's more than any other process on my PC, including Firefox, which I always thought was a little bit of a memory hog. It's not a big deal considering how much memory most people have these days, but that seems a little excessive. I'm not a coder by any means, so who knows. It also shows "not responding" in task manager frequently while I'm using it. To me, this indicates that it's performing very poorly and the OS thinks it's hung quite frequently.

Last edited by BigMons : 11/13/14 at 01:48 AM. Reason: memory usage and not responding
11/13/14, 01:19 PM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Originally Posted by BigMons View Post
I'm very surprised that I can't find a thread about this already. Maybe it's just my installation, I don't know. Whenever I try to use Minion to find new addons, specifically addons that I already have found I just need to install them through Minion, I type the addon name in the search box under the "Find More" tab. When I type in that search box, I think it's searching in real-time as I type. Each letter that I type takes several seconds to show up in the box. It's very slow at responding. Why can't I just type the name and then click "search" when I have it all typed? The entire interface is very slow and unresponsive imo.
I get a little stutter on the first letter some times but usually its very quick on both windows and osx for me. What are the specs of your system? CPU / Memory / OS?

Also, is there any plan to have an option on the website on an addon page that I can click that says something like "install with minion"? Curse has this for WoW addons. I rarely looked for addons within curse client. I found it on the website and then clicked the button on the site and it opened curse client and installed. The minion interface is so slow that installing several addons with it is painful. Would be better if I could queue up some addons and then batch install from the website or something.
We have a feature called installed later in the works. It has some bugs we are still working out and we hope to have those bugs squashed when we switch to jdk8.

EDIT: I just also noticed that Minion is using 525,000 K of memory (private working set) when I'm on the find more tab and searching for an addon. That's more than any other process on my PC, including Firefox, which I always thought was a little bit of a memory hog. It's not a big deal considering how much memory most people have these days, but that seems a little excessive. I'm not a coder by any means, so who knows. It also shows "not responding" in task manager frequently while I'm using it. To me, this indicates that it's performing very poorly and the OS thinks it's hung quite frequently.
Minion runs its own version of the JRE, its running a virtual machine and that virtual machine is reserving memory so the application won't starve. So its not really using all that memory and we are working on changing this so you don't get the impression that its actually using all that memory. To get the real memory usage you'd have to look inside the JVM.
11/18/14, 02:23 AM   #3
BigMons

Red face

Sorry, I let my ESO subscription lapse on the day that I posted this topic. I am considering resubbing now, so I fired up Minion to see if anything needed to be updated and that reminded me to check this forum.

My system has quite a bit of age on it, but it gets me by for the moment. I need to rebuild whenever I'm able to fund it.
CPU: Pentium E2160 running at 2.4GHz (basically a "Core" CPU but with 1MB cache vs 2MB). They were cheap and highly overclockable. Definitely the weakest link in my PC. I think it's probably 7 years old now...
Memory: 6GB DDR2 (DDR3 was just emerging when I initially built the system way back in 2007, and it was a bit more expensive).
GPU: GTX 460 (probably doesn't matter)

Maybe in the coming months I'll be able to save some money and rebuild with DDR4 and an i5.
11/18/14, 02:41 AM   #4
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Just using this topic to say that Minion use ~500MB and sometimes more (saw it at 900MB) in memory.
For a tool which doesn't do a lot of things, that's really huge

A lot of programs which are even more complex currently use lot less memory than Minion.
Win7-64bits.

Thank you
11/19/14, 02:11 AM   #5
BigMons

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
Just using this topic to say that Minion use ~500MB and sometimes more (saw it at 900MB) in memory.
For a tool which doesn't do a lot of things, that's really huge

A lot of programs which are even more complex currently use lot less memory than Minion.
Win7-64bits.

Thank you
Well, as previously stated by Dolby:
Minion runs its own version of the JRE, its running a virtual machine and that virtual machine is reserving memory so the application won't starve. So its not really using all that memory and we are working on changing this so you don't get the impression that its actually using all that memory. To get the real memory usage you'd have to look inside the JVM.
So I guess it's not actually using that amount of memory. I'm not a programmer, but if it's reserving that memory, then I have to assume the memory isn't available to my system for other purposes, so it is in some way using it. I guess it depends on how you define use. Regardless, it's tying up memory that can't be used elsewhere based on how I understand it. It's not a tremendous issue with some systems running double digit GB amounts of ram these days. To me though, it does seem quite inefficient. The software is in beta, so maybe the performance will get ironed out. I personally would have liked to see Minion written with something other than Java, but again, I'm not a programmer by any means and there are probably good reasons they chose to use Java. I'm in no position to say it was a poor decision or it should have been done some other way. I just wish it performed better is all.

I do have Azul Zulu installed on my system, which is openjdk. Maybe it would perform better if I could utilize that vs whatever Minion comes with, but I don't know.
12/26/14, 12:14 PM   #6
Toperharrier
Im really worried about this!

My minion also freezes on addon search. Whenever I type something to look for, it freezes for a time depending on how many letters I type, and then starts showing results as follows (imagine I type "wykkyd"):

-Everything containing an "w"
-Then maybe some mid-stages as addons with "wy" or "wyk".
-The real search, aka results for "wykkyd"..

It does not get back to normal until it gets to the last stage. Sometimes it can take up to 20 seconds!

Is there anything wrong with it? It seems as it it might have a memory leak issue or maybe its related to the way it does the search?

Update: Ok my Minion client is taking about 1.4GB RAM right now. It seems it starts stacking up as soon as I run it, and with everyaction it grows larger and larger. Might be some kind of memory leak? I dont think this performance is nearly normal.

Update2: ok my minion0.log file is full of this line, maybe it has something to do with it:
"Detallado com.zam.minion.controller.cell.InstalledAddOnCell$10 onChanged GameInstall change found."

Last edited by Toperharrier : 12/26/14 at 12:45 PM.

ESOUI » Site Forums » Minion » "Find More" search box is nearly unresponsive