06/06/17, 04:37 AM   #1
manavortex

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[outdated] Guild: Set a time zone

Hey there,

It would be an awesome idea if a guild leader could set a standard timezone for the guild that would be visible from the in-game interface with a single glance.

My use case is the following:
Ever-since we're doing guild events, the standard time zone is CE(S)T. If it's not announced otherwise, our events start at 8PM. Since I was sick of people asking, I created a fancy widget on our website and nailed it to the sidebar, so that it's visible everywhere:

The existence of the widget is documented in "about us".

Following use case:
I change the MOTD to "TOMORROW: GUILD EVENT!"
Member 1: When is that?
Me: 8PM, as always.
Member 1: my 8PM or your 8PM?
Member 2: Oh, an event! Exciting! When?
Me:

So a functionality to set a time zone for any guild (can default to server time) would be amazing.
Alternatively, I'd settle for something that lets me stab people into the face over the internet.

The reason why I bring this up here is that I'm considering to make a corresponding add-on and declare it as precondition to ask me questions.

Last edited by manavortex : 06/06/17 at 04:45 AM.

06/06/17, 05:18 AM   #2
sirinsidiator

You already have that. All ingame timestamps are in UTC, so you already have your standard timezone and the ingame time formatting methods will take that timestamp and print it in the users local timezone.

If that's not enough you could also use my (still unreleased, but included in AGS) LibDateTime which gives you formatting options similar to the what os.date offers, but the API is not final and will likely change.

06/06/17, 05:20 AM   #3
manavortex

Yes, what I'd like was a guild-wide standard time. Such as, Guild 1 runs in CEST because it's European, so when these people say 8PM, that means XX for me - guild 2 is on the East Coast, they're on XXX, so when they say 8AM, for me that's...

06/06/17, 05:50 AM   #4
sirinsidiator

You can easily make an addon that translates time based on a special string in the guild about us text (e.g. Timezone: CEST). Then whenever someone posts a time in the guild channel it can automatically translate it. You could even make it so it parses the text itself for a timezone (e.g. 20:00 CEST, 5pm UTC-5). No need to add any extra features to the API IMO.

06/06/17, 05:53 AM   #5
manavortex

I know I can, but I'm trying to think bigger.. So to make it configurable I'd have to read the guild info for time zone info and try to parse it, means that the GMs of the guilds who would want this would have to stick to a certain formatting and their members would have to install the AddOn.

While I can do that in my own guild, I know that I'm not the only person with that problem, and that there are a bunch of people around who would appreciate an onboard solution, so I thought i could suggest it.

06/06/17, 06:03 AM   #6
sirinsidiator

Originally Posted by manavortex View Post
The reason why I bring this up here is that I'm considering to make a corresponding add-on and declare it as precondition to ask me questions.
Just wanted to point out that you can already make your addon without the need for any of it. :P

06/06/17, 06:06 AM   #7
manavortex

Thanks. Knew this. Trying to make the world better for everyone.

06/06/17, 04:04 PM   #8
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
I'll pass the idea along to the designers.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [outdated] Guild: Set a time zone