03/18/16, 08:39 PM   #1
Jhenox

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Simple group chat timer.

I was thinking a handy simple tool might be a group chat timer. I constantly see crown put things in group chat like "Pulling in 1 minute.", "Go turn in then we're heading out in 5 minutes.", etc. I was thinking something like:

/timer 1m
/timer 30s

Then the timer would periodically put a message in chat. Maybe the message would appear more or less often based on time left. Like once a minute if it's less than 10 minutes and maybe at 30 secs then at 10 then maybe count down from there.

I could see something like this being handy for a guild as well like a guild leader/officer being able to set a time reminder for an event. Maybe the message would go out periodically with a custom message and a rounded time.

/timer 2:00p Reminder: HRC trial at 2:00 PM today!

YourGuild: Reminder: HRC trial at 2:00 PM today! That's 1 hour from now!

What do you think?
03/19/16, 08:25 AM   #2
sirinsidiator

You cannot automatically send chat messages, but in this case where you want the user to write a slash command and hit enter, you could maybe convert the input before it gets sent. SyncMotes does the same thing, so it should also work if you react to "/timer" in the same way.

For example you could then send a message that contains some string like "#MyAwesomeTimerAddonName +60" and anyone with the addon who reads that then handles showing the periodic messages on their end.

For long running reminders in guilds it may be better to put them into the MotD or a member note, so offline members also get it when they come online after you sent it the first time. For them to be useful you will also have to put in a relative timestamp that is referring to something every guild member has access to. For example an event in the guild history.
03/19/16, 04:33 PM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
For guild events there exists already an addon. Maybe you can talk with the addon dev to add your reminder functionality.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Simple group chat timer.