Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
07/08/14, 09:11 AM   #1
zgrssd
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
LibConstantMapper

While trying to figure out wich unambigious Chat Category Constant name relates to wich category I ran into the issue that the Constant Names are the keys in the global table. They can be identified via Pattern Matching, but they are not a subtable that you can easily itterate over.

Doing excessive pattern matching is bad for performance. Also there are other similary organised groups of values (like the Chat_Channels or all the Event ID's) you might want to find an easy match for.
So I started development on this library. It consists of two files:
mappings.lua
Lua Code:
  1. ConstantMapperMappings = {
  2.     { mapping = "ChatCategories", pattern = "^CHAT_CATEGORY_", exclude = "^CHAT_CATEGORY_HEADER" }
  3. }
Just a table. It contains the mapping (wich Key the table will be saved under and will be requestable), the pattern to match (in this case for chat categories) and a pattern to not include (in this case I want all the entries starting with "CHAT_CATEGORY_", except the ones starting wiht "CHAT_CATEGORY_HEADER").
If I also want the chat channels using this library, I just have to modify it like this:
Lua Code:
  1. ConstantMapperMappings = {
  2.     { mapping = "ChatCategories", pattern = "^CHAT_CATEGORY_", exclude = "^CHAT_CATEGORY_HEADER" },
  3.     { mapping = "ChatChannels", pattern = "^CHAT_CHANNEL_"}
  4. }

main.lua
Lua Code:
  1. local Mappings = ConstantMapperMappings
  2. local data = { }
  4. --Make certain data contains a table for each mapping
  5. for i=1, #Mappings, 1 do
  6.     local currentMap = Mappings[i]
  8.     if(data[currentMap.mapping] == nil) then
  9.         data[currentMap.mapping] = {}
  10.     end
  11. end
  13. --For every entry in the Global table
  14. for key, value in zo_insecurePairs(_G) do
  15.     --Compare it to every mapping
  16.     for i=1, #Mappings, 1 do
  17.         local currentMap = Mappings[i]
  19.         if (key):find(currentMap.pattern) and (currentMap.exclude == nil or not(key):find(currentMap.exclude)) then
  20.             --found a Value for this mapping, so store it in the table
  21.             local newentry = { key = key, value = value}
  23.             table.insert(data[currentMap.mapping], newentry)
  24.         end
  25.     end
  26. end
I go over all entries in the global table. Compare each entry to each mapping. And if it matches, I store the value as a subtable in Data.
That way I get a easy to itterate over table containing wich ConstantName matches wich Category.

Going over the whoel global table is a lot faster then I anticipated so maybe I switch to a "retreive on demand, but cache" approach instead.

Of course the whole thing will use libStub to avoid multiple execution in the final version. I just wanted to ask if there are any mistakes in this code I have to look out for.

ESOUI » AddOns » Released AddOns » LibConstantMapper