12/19/14, 11:23 AM   #1
Kalell4
Beta Build to Main to Patch

Maybe this will be easier than I expect but we all know how long patches take to load so here goes. Played ESO in Beta so by default I have a eso_build_branch sub with already the workings of out of date Addons that I chose to not have loaded. Documents --> Elder Scrolls Online --> ESO_Build_Branch. Yet it seems the workings of setting up add on parameters are located there, with saved game variables. Go to the Help tab on this website and it states to create a new Add On folder under ESO --> Live --> Addon. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
12/22/14, 10:44 AM   #2
Sasky
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Are you talking about updating the game client or just addons? The game client will take awhile to update and be a couple dozen GBs to download probably. Not much you can do to jumpstart it, so leave it running overnight, while you're at work, whatever.

Addons are much smaller and faster to update. Since it's so old, I'd recommend just using Minion and starting from scratch. You could jumpstart it by copying over, along these lines:

1. Create a new folder under Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live (or liveeu if you're using that server.
2. Copy over the AddOns and SavedVariables folders
3. Now run Minion and use it to update

However, it's more prone to create issues and you're not necessarily saving much of anything. If you're worried about saving a few settings, you could try just copying those over, but it'll depend on the addon whether that'll stay.

(Of course you could install/update manually, but I'd say don't bother unless you're having problems with Minion.)
12/23/14, 07:17 AM   #3
BornDownUnder
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Kalell4 View Post
Maybe this will be easier than I expect but we all know how long patches take to load so here goes. Played ESO in Beta so by default I have a eso_build_branch sub with already the workings of out of date Addons that I chose to not have loaded. Documents --> Elder Scrolls Online --> ESO_Build_Branch. Yet it seems the workings of setting up add on parameters are located there, with saved game variables. Go to the Help tab on this website and it states to create a new Add On folder under ESO --> Live --> Addon. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Not entirely understanding your post... Hopefully I can be of some assistance to you.

So here goes,

If you are referring to transferring addons with saved variables from beta test builds to live server builds, you just simply transfer those saved variables (Found in Saved Variables folder) as well as addons that you have selected/are updated (Found in the AddOns folder) from the beta build to the live build before or after the patch hits live.

Sasky has detailed steps to proceed with the process of transferring addons from beta to live builds. You can run Minion after the addons are in the ...live/addons folder and it will register the addons it can find on esoui.com. The addons it cannot locate, could still be on esoui.com, just might be severely outdated and discontinued (Separate addon listing structure here on esoui.com)

Minion is now well developed and is very stable, functions quite well (Unless an addon author screws up the folder structure/has incorrect code which does not function within the addon itself) so I would highly recommend it for ease of use over manual install of addons.

If you are referring to ZO saved variables, then the procedure is the same as above though I would compare the live build variables once the patch hits live, before copying/pasting as ZO variables could change somewhat, with large updates (Though not likely to)

If you are referring to compartmentalizing the live patch with the beta build once it hits, that most likely would not be possible as with most developers, patches generally have very late additions, even and including sometimes right before the patch hits the live servers, available for downloading as a consumer.

You could try to copy the beta files over to the live copy (you REALLY should make a backup of your current live copy first) and see if it cuts down on the download of the latest patch once it hits live servers, if that is what you are asking.

Hopefully I was of some assistance.

Last edited by BornDownUnder : 12/23/14 at 07:23 AM. Reason: More detail.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Beta Build to Main to Patch