12/07/15, 06:51 PM   #1
merlight
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Request for translations - keybinds menu & addon profiles

I'll highlight strings I need translated, one is for a library and the rest for Addon Profiles add-on to which I owe some fixes.

First the added menu entry under Controls menu:

STR_GAME_MENU_ENTRY = "Addon Keybindings"
- I'll probably change that to "Addon Keybinds", that's how the library will be called
- I noticed LAM's "Addon Settings" is just the word "Addons" in de/fr translations, maybe I can use that here as well?

Second is the box for Addon Profiles (won't translate the header, only options under it):

SWITCH_TO_PROFILE_FORMAT = "Switch to profile <<1>>"
- the <<1>> is placeholder for user-defined profile name

PROFILE_NONE = "|c88947eNone|r"
- to be used as a null/default profile name (shown in the last 3 rows in the image above)

LABEL_ACTIVE_PROFILE = "Profile"
- meaning "Active profile" with a drop-down list of user-defined profile names after it, as in this image: http://cdn.eso.mmoui.com/preview/pvw2543.png

MENU_CREATE_PROFILE = "Create profile"
MENU_DELETE_PROFILE = "Delete profile"
- custom menu entries, http://cdn.eso.mmoui.com/preview/pvw2544.png

CREATE_PROFILE_DIALOG_TITLE = "Create profile"
CREATE_PROFILE_DIALOG_TEXT = "Enter the name of the profile you wish to create:"
Title and text for dialog window, followed by edit box where user types profile name

DELETE_PROFILE_DIALOG_TITLE = "Delete profile"
DELETE_PROFILE_DIALOG_TEXT = "Do you really want to delete profile <<1>>?"
Title and text for dialog window, <<1>> is placeholder for user profile name
12/07/15, 08:54 PM   #2
sirinsidiator

Nice library. I had plans to add something similar to LAM at some point, but you see how much work I get done on it.

Here are the German translations:
"Addon Keybindings" -- not sure what the German client says about Addons or Keybindings as I play in English. I think simply putting "Addons" or "Erweiterungen" would be ok.
"Switch to profile <<1>>" -> "Zum Profil '<<1>>' wechseln"
"None" -> "Leer" -- would usually mean "Keines" but "Leer" (Empty) is better in this context.
"Profile" -> "Profil"
"Create profile" -> "Profil erstellen"
"Delete profile" -> "Profil löschen"

"Enter the name of the profile you wish to create:" -- There are many ways to translate this and on top of that German has two different forms of speaking. One is more formal and the other more direct.
formal -> "Geben sie einen Namen für das neue Profil ein:" -- This one is pretty safe. Won't offend anyone really.
informal -> "Gib einen Namen für das neue Profil ein:" -- This is how you would say it to a friend. I think it sounds better.
I have no idea how other interface texts are formulated in the German client, so I'll leave the decision to you.

"Do you really want to delete profile <<1>>?"
formal -> "Wollen sie das Profil '<<1>>' wirklich löschen?"
informal -> "Willst du das Profil '<<1>>' wirklich löschen?"

Last edited by sirinsidiator : 12/07/15 at 08:57 PM.
12/08/15, 02:27 AM   #3
votan

Aah, it's coming
I agree with sirinsidiator, except that "Sie" and "Du" is written in capital letters, because you talk to the person directly, not about someone:

"Enter the name of the profile you wish to create:"
formal -> "Geben Sie einen Namen für das neue Profil ein:" -- This one is pretty safe. Won't offend anyone really.

"Do you really want to delete profile <<1>>?"
formal -> "Wollen Sie das Profil '<<1>>' wirklich löschen?"
informal -> "Willst Du das Profil '<<1>>' wirklich löschen?"

"Controls" is translated as "Steuerung" in German client. I would translate it this way:
Steuerung
|-> Standard (<- means you should change this string, too, if possible)
|-> Erweiterungen

Last edited by votan : 12/08/15 at 02:31 AM.
12/09/15, 04:58 PM   #4
merlight
Thanks guys. As for the "Du/Sie" dilemma, I thought ZOS UI would help me decide, so I tried destroying some beer and guess what it asked:

"Wollt Ihr 7x Goldlager wirklich zerstören?"

Is that even correct? In Czech we use the plural form of "You/Ihr" in formal/polite speech, but 100 years ago we used "They/Sie". Is German switching from "Sie" to "Ihr" like we did?
12/09/15, 06:14 PM   #5
sirinsidiator

It is correct, or rather it was correct a few hundred years ago.
What you see is the "majestic plural" which was used to refer to a person in power during Medieval times. Somewhat fitting for the game. Makes you feel like a lord.

The translations would then be:
"Gebt einen Namen für das neue Profil ein:"
"Wollen Ihr das Profil '<<1>>' wirklich löschen?"

In recent years German is switching from Sie to Du among the younger demographic, or at least that's my impression.
12/11/15, 03:32 AM   #6
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
It's my impression to sirinsidiator.
And it's changing from "Sie" to "Du" because of the lack of respect younger persons demonstrate to older ones.
A few years ago it was normal to say "Sie" until the older/other person kind of allowed to use "Du".
Except both persons were of the same age, family, friends, etc.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Translation Help » Request for translations - keybinds menu & addon profiles