05/15/17, 02:34 PM   #1
Kenza
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Question [Request] Synergy Helper/Descriptions

I know auto-synergy is not possible, (and a bad idea anyways) but is it possible to add extra info and color coding to the synergies popups? IE:
Purify (Cleanse)
Supernova (Magic DMG)
Shackle (Flame DMG)
Blood Funnel (Self Heal)
ect, etc..
To make it easier for newbies to tell which synergies they should/shouldn't be using? :s
05/15/17, 04:20 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Not what you asked for (no time to check atm but I bet it isn't possible without building language dependend "look up tables" ...), but:
I'd rather learn the names and ask guild mates what the synergy is doing.
And watch the effects shown to conect them to the text (like thrown shards of templar -> Yay, I GET STAMINA and maybe MAGICKA... at least until the Morrowind patch...).

This way you better understand the game and the synergies.

And the synergies give you magicka, health and stamina via the passive skills of the undaunted (I guess it was them if I remember right?). So learning which synergie does what is even more important.

Colored texts will be helping for a phew synergies, maybe. But there are not enough colors to distinguish all of them.
05/15/17, 04:34 PM   #3
Rhyono
More so than just the color, I think he meant for it to literally say "(Cleanse)" next to it. I've never looked into that sort of thing, so I don't know the viability of it. Would it be something where you could hijack the localizations?
05/17/17, 02:25 AM   #4
dorrino
This is a weird way to reply to a technical question, Baertram

Anyways, the answer is a definite yes.

What do we see on the screen as the synergy name is handled in synergy.lua at line 65. Since it's a label you can put any text and any texture there instead of the synergy name.

And since GetSynergyInfo() (line 59) returns iconFilename for the synergy you don't depend on the localization. Just iconFilename -> new text table is all that's needed.

An addon that changes this text to whatever can be written in 10 min.

The question is what exactly do we want to see there instead of the original names?

Color-coded synergy types as in the OP?

If Kenza provides me with the complete list of the substitutions i'll make this addon.
05/17/17, 09:43 AM   #5
Kenza
Thanks for the replies! And TYVM for volunteering Dorrino!

I'd still like them to have their original names(because I'd still like to know them all by names too eventually!), as well as like Rhyono said a literal 1-2 word description in brackets beside that.

For color coding, I think Baert is right that having too many colors would be bad and counterproductive; the point of this would be to make it simpler/faster to react to.. Maybe it would be better to go totally simplified with green = heal, red = dmg?

I will start working on a list and post it shortly! Assuming this is an up-to-date list of all synergies? http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Synergy
Or is there a way to get a full list from the game files so I don't miss any? Also, if you give me an example line of code that you'll be putting the list into, I can format it that way to make it easier for you to copypasta, if you like!
05/17/17, 10:14 AM   #6
dorrino
Originally Posted by Kenza View Post
Thanks for the replies! And TYVM for volunteering Dorrino!
It's really 10-15 minutes from the moment i get the properly formatted table of the substitutions

I'd still like them to have their original names(because I'd still like to know them all by names too eventually!), as well as like Rhyono said a literal 1-2 word description in brackets beside that.
Not a problem to retain original names.

For color coding, I think Baert is right that having too many colors would be bad and counterproductive; the point of this would be to make it simpler/faster to react to.. Maybe it would be better to go totally simplified with green = heal, red = dmg?
It probably would be better just to add an effect description in brackets after the name.

Something like 'Conduit (AOE damage)' or 'Supernova (AOE damage, Stun(5 sec)). Colors are easy to add as well, but indeed effects of the synergies is usually unique so we'd have a problem of either having too many colors or not-descriptive enough colors.

I will start working on a list and post it shortly! Assuming this is an up-to-date list of all synergies? http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Synergy
No idea how complete this list is, but it's a good start.

Or is there a way to get a full list from the game files so I don't miss any?
There's none as far as i know.

Also, if you give me an example line of code that you'll be putting the list into, I can format it that way to make it easier for you to copypasta, if you like!
Lua Code:
  1. synergySubstitutions = {
  2.    ['synergy1_Icon_Path.dds'] = 'Synergy 1 desired text',
  3.    ['synergy2_Icon_Path.dds'] = 'Synergy 2 desired text',
  4.    ['synergy3_Icon_Path.dds'] = 'Synergy 3 desired text',
  5. }

This would be perfect.

You can get 'synergyX_Icon_Path.dds' by typing in the chat - /script local _, iconName = GetSynergyInfo() d(iconName) - while you have the popup for the synergy on your screen. Since as i said above i don't know about a way to go over all the synergies in the lua, you need to do this manually for any synergy you want to include.

I don't remember that, but it might be the case that synergies icons are the same as the abilities icons. Then i can do it myself quite easily.

But i still would need the list of substitutions.

Cheers

edit: since it might be a problem to get synergy icon path from in the way i described (because when you type in the command in chat the synergy disappears) i'll uploaded an addon to HERE. The addon does nothing right now, but outputting to chat synergy icon name when you first have its popup on the screen.

If you know lua, you can do the whole work yourself by adding new lines to SYN.synergySubstitutions (just like the commented out line for blade of woe). The addon will add these custom lines after the synergy names on the screen. When you're done you can just comment out d(iconFilename) line and you'll get the addon doing what you wanted

Enjoy.

Last edited by dorrino : 05/21/17 at 12:48 PM.
05/17/17, 11:14 AM   #7
Kenza
Here's what I have so far for the list!
Warning: Spoiler

So now.. hopefully this list is unnecessary! I don't know lua, but with your explanations, I think(or I hope!) I can figure this out, thanks! Now the only hard part is to just harass some people to test synergies for me! haha
05/17/17, 12:08 PM   #8
dorrino
Here's what I have so far for the list!
Warning: Spoiler

So now.. hopefully this list is unnecessary! I don't know lua, but with your explanations, I think(or I hope!) I can figure this out, thanks! Now the only hard part is to just harass some people to test synergies for me! haha
I'll implement the list myself right after you harass those people to get synergy icon paths

Getting those icon paths strings would be a cake with the addon template i shared with you.
05/17/17, 01:43 PM   #9
Kenza
Well this may take longer than I thought, haha x.x Asked a few zone chats and guilds for testing buddies, so far all I found is Conduit and that was from a random WB I joined on! Only volunteers I got, didn't have any abilities with synergies on them :x I'll keep trying later when more ppl are on~ Or maybe find some more in random dungeons. I'll get 'em all eventually! And your template is awesome and working perfectly, thank you!
Code:
['/esoui/art/icons/ability_mage_029.dds'] = '(Shock DMG)',	-- Conduit
05/17/17, 03:41 PM   #10
dorrino
Well this may take longer than I thought, haha x.x Asked a few zone chats and guilds for testing buddies, so far all I found is Conduit and that was from a random WB I joined on! Only volunteers I got, didn't have any abilities with synergies on them :x I'll keep trying later when more ppl are on~ Or maybe find some more in random dungeons. I'll get 'em all eventually! And your template is awesome and working perfectly, thank you!
Code:
['/esoui/art/icons/ability_mage_029.dds'] = '(Shock DMG)',	-- Conduit
Judging from this icon for Conduit Synergy manually tracking all of them is the only way possible for us. I had an idea that synergies have the same icons, that the abilities that invoke them, but this example proves me wrong.

There's nothing much i can do besides manually checking each and every synergy in-game.

Keep in mind that it might be the case when 2 different synergies have the same icon though. This could complicate the process a bit.
05/18/17, 12:52 PM   #11
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Maybe ask Chip if he can provide help or a function to get the ability's id instead of the icon path?

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [Request] Synergy Helper/Descriptions