02/02/17, 05:35 PM   #1
timidobserver
Saved Variables

My saved variables folder keeps resetting. Anyone know why this happens and how to stop it?
02/02/17, 07:36 PM   #2
Dolgubon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Are you trying to manually edit it while the game is open? That would cause it to reset once you logout or /reloadui.
02/03/17, 02:56 AM   #3
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
The whole folder resets?
Maybe you got an external executable that "opens"/"reads" the files and the game is not able to write them somehow if the other program blocks them.

I had this issue as my text editor was blocking the files in "view" mode...
02/05/17, 02:27 PM   #4
timidobserver
Originally Posted by Dolgubon View Post
Are you trying to manually edit it while the game is open? That would cause it to reset once you logout or /reloadui.
No literally I logout of the game and log back in the next day to addons reset to default.

Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
The whole folder resets?
Maybe you got an external executable that "opens"/"reads" the files and the game is not able to write them somehow if the other program blocks them.

I had this issue as my text editor was blocking the files in "view" mode...
I can't think of anything that would lock the files other than a virus scan.
02/05/17, 02:31 PM   #5
Rhyono
I think the first two assumed you were doing something with the files (such as dev stuff), but it sounds more like you're just trying to play the game and addons can't properly save data? I don't know which antivirus you have, but you should be able to exempt the folder from scans.
02/05/17, 02:51 PM   #6
Randactyl
Are you exiting the game properly by using log out or quit from the main menu?
02/05/17, 04:02 PM   #7
timidobserver
Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
I think the first two assumed you were doing something with the files (such as dev stuff), but it sounds more like you're just trying to play the game and addons can't properly save data? I don't know which antivirus you have, but you should be able to exempt the folder from scans.
Probably a reasonable assumption lol. It doesn't make sense for the saved variables to reset for any other reason.

Originally Posted by Randactyl View Post
Are you exiting the game properly by using log out or quit from the main menu?
Sometimes and sometimes not. I can say that I have been playing since launch/beta and I have never had my addons resetting randomly before. It's really strange because sometimes it isn't every addon. For example, last night Alphagear and addon settings reset, but everything else remained.

I am only lucky that I copied my saved variables folder over to the PTS a couple of weeks ago, so I was able to copy that back to live to avoid losing many settings.
02/06/17, 02:48 AM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
If the game crashes for some reason all changed addon data is not saved properly (only sometimes).
So if you do not exit the game normally via ESC->End or logout -> End the saved variable files could be not up to date.
02/06/17, 10:09 AM   #9
timidobserver
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
If the game crashes for some reason all changed addon data is not saved properly (only sometimes).
So if you do not exit the game normally via ESC->End or logout -> End the saved variable files could be not up to date.
I get that things aren't saved if you exit the game incorrectly, but my issue is a complete wipe of either all or some of my saved variable files. At this point I am backing up my saved vars folder daily because randomly it just wipes some or all of the saved vars.

Edit: I updated to an SSD 2-3 months ago. ESO is installed on the SSD but the documents folder is located on another HHD. Could this have anything to do with the problem?

Last edited by timidobserver : 02/06/17 at 10:53 AM.
02/06/17, 12:12 PM   #10
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Nope, at least I got the same constellation and 0 problems.
Try to check your antivirus and exclude the SavedVars folders as someone commented before.
Otherwise I don't know what could be the problem here. Maybe do a check with Windows system tootls to see if the hdd is broken or got broken sectors and repair them.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Saved Variables