01/18/17, 12:43 AM   #1
Rhyono
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Edit Existing Tooltip

Is there a function that allows you to universally hook into a tooltip by name? For practice purposes, I used Zgoo to look at the data of the alchemy tooltip that pops up when you have a solvent and reagents placed. I see that the functions AddLine and ClearLines can be used to modify it, but how would I go about calling those from outside of Zgoo to modify it myself?
01/18/17, 03:16 AM   #2
votan

You hook the methods of the well-known tooltips used by build-in code and therefore typically everybody.

InformationTooltip, ItemTooltip, PopupTooltip. For a complete list download ESOUI - The Elder Scrolls Online source code and do a text-search for "<Tooltip ".

The methods are typically SetLink, SetBagItem. My addons use a hook technique originally created by @Garkin, a real smart dev.

Build-in code like the Inventory call these methods on a tooltip, which means your hook. There you call e.g. :AddLine with what you want to add to the tooltip.

The details depend on what you want to do.
01/18/17, 10:00 AM   #3
Ayantir

there is few, I did it myself, few examples ae in CraftedPotions, there is others in CritPercent.

btw, nothing really clean.
01/18/17, 11:34 AM   #4
sirinsidiator

I don't really like the idea that an addon hooks into the AddLine function, as it is used by basically any addon that creates custom tooltips. IMO it would be cleaner to try and change the source of the message and change what is passed to the tooltip there. In your case you could take a look at the crafting screen where the tooltip is generated and hook into ALCHEMY:UpdateTooltipLayout().
01/18/17, 01:30 PM   #5
votan

@sirinsidiator: Who is talking about hooking AddLine (me not)

As I said: Depends on what one wants to do.
@sirinsidiator is right: If hooking ALCHEMY:UpdateTooltipLayout works, it should be prefered.
01/18/17, 01:44 PM   #6
sirinsidiator

Sorry votan. I only quickly skimmed your message right after I came home and all I read was "Hook [...] AddLine".
01/19/17, 12:44 AM   #7
Rhyono
Thanks, those answers gave me what I needed.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Edit Existing Tooltip