04/17/24, 05:38 PM   #1
Toirealach
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Combat Events vs. PvP Kill Feed

Why is it that sometimes (albeit rarely) that the Combat events and PvP Kill Feed don't match?

The Combat Events ACTION_RESULT_KILLING_BLOW will tell me one thing but the PvP Kill Feed says another.

For example, since Healthy Offering and Shrew Offering will SUBTRACT the health drain from the toon BEFORE it does the heal (yes it's a thing devs, check it out and please fix it) when you have very low health, what the combat events tell the player has killed them is their own cast of Healthy or Shrewd Offering!

But then sometimes the PvP Kill Feed will say that the player they were fighting defeated them even though the player died to their own ability (or fall damage or slaughterfish).

Other times the PvP Kill Feed that one opposing player killed them but the Combat Event system will say that a different opposing player killed them when GetNumKillingAttacks(), GetKillingAttackInfo() and GetKillingAttackerInfo() is examined to see which blow was the killing blow and from which opposing player it came.

If the PvP Kill Feed doesn't get its information from the combat engine which produces the death recap, then where does it get the killing blow information from?

Last edited by Toirealach : 04/17/24 at 05:55 PM.
04/18/24, 11:00 AM   #2
Anthonysc
I have also seen this where the combat event and the kill feed report different killing blow information. It is quite odd. In PvP Alerts I synthesize the Killing Blow information returned by EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT with the Kill information from the kill feed event to assign killing blow skills to the kill feed data and have seen this bug result in players getting killing blows with skills from a completely different class.

I have also seen events in the kill feed where two different players are credited for the same kill.

Something is very wonky in the back end.

I also posted in Wish List when the Kill Feed first dropped asking for KB skill info to be added to the Kill Feed API in part to mitigate this issue: https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10677

That said, as Baertram said in the other thread, based on the intended order-of-operations in game mechanics, the NB heal would seem to be working as intended.
04/18/24, 03:33 PM   #3
sinnereso
Originally Posted by Anthonysc View Post
I have also seen this where the combat event and the kill feed report different killing blow information. It is quite odd. In PvP Alerts I synthesize the Killing Blow information returned by EVENT_COMBAT_EVENT with the Kill information from the kill feed event to assign killing blow skills to the kill feed data and have seen this bug result in players getting killing blows with skills from a completely different class.
I have seen many times and reported the use of "other" class abilities by several users in cyrodiil. It IS possiblle for example a dragon knight to dragon leap onto you, bolt escape away multiple times and then even use warden skills 10seconds later... seen it in action and on death recaps.
04/18/24, 04:03 PM   #4
Toirealach
Originally Posted by Anthonysc View Post

I have also seen events in the kill feed where two different players are credited for the same kill.

Something is very wonky in the back end.

I also posted in Wish List when the Kill Feed first dropped asking for KB skill info to be added to the Kill Feed API in part to mitigate this issue: https://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10677
Yes I also get cases where the death recap says one player killed an opponent but the PvP kill feed says another player did. And yes, I have been in a group where two players get told by the Combat Event system that they were the ones who dealt the killing blow which ended up with head scratching in Discord voice where one says my addon told them that they got the KB and another argues in voice that my addon just said they got the KB

I have debug logging in an unreleased version of my addon that can be enabled to show when there is a mismatch between the two.

But in the end, I totally agree with you that EVENT_PVP_KILL_FEED_DEATH should include the ability ID of the death blow and that becomes the source of truth.

Adding a killing blow ability ID parameter to the EVENT_PVP_KILL_FEED_DEATH event should be trivial.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Bug Reports » Combat Events vs. PvP Kill Feed