02/23/16, 09:38 PM   #1
Noobanidus

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[outdated] Request: GetRepeatableQuestCompletedToday

I've looked around quite a bit and been caught out by GetCompletedQuestInfo already, so I'm pretty sure there is no way to do the following:

Given the importance of repeatable/daily quests in Orsinium/Wrothgar in the current patch, and the fact that there will be repeatable quests in Thieves' Guild (though I haven't looked into them as intently), the need for this function seems to be increased.

As far as I can tell, unless you have never completed a daily quest, there is no way to determine whether or not it has been completed for today. Completing it once marks it as always having been completed via GetCompletedQuestInfo.

So, the request is for either:

GetRepeatableQuestCompletedToday (questId), returning boolean true/false if the quest is a repeatable one that has or has not been completed today, or nil if it is not a repeatable quest.

or:

GetCompletedQuestInfo (questId), adding an additional return value to name, questType, equivalent to the suggested return value of GetRepeatableQuestCompletedToday.

Applications would include:
- A way of seeing which world boss dailies have been completed in Orsinium.
- A way of seeing which daily delve quests have been completed in Orsinium (according to Rich Lambert, it is a bug that these cannot be shared, though he said he would be checking up on it)
- A way of seeing which writs you have completed or not completed
- A way of seeing which Cyrodiil repeatable quests you haven't done yet (or have done) today
- In future, a way of seeing which TG repeatables you still have to do
- In future, a way of seeing whether you have completed repeatable daily quests for delves or world bosses

My aborted attempt at providing something to do the first was extremely well received, this despite the fact that it didn't actually work as I'd made the assumption that never completed was equivalent to not having completed it today in my tests.

02/23/16, 10:11 PM   #2
Randactyl
Couldn't you just do this now with a lookup table? I'm sure the repeatable questIds are around somewhere. Or does EVENT_QUEST_COMPLETE not fire every time a quest completes?

I'm thinking you'd use saved vars to save a timestamp for a daily quest when it is completed. Then at any point in time you can iterate over you saved timestamps and attempt to figure out if the user has completed the quest since the last daily reset (pretty sure it's 6 AM UTC).

02/23/16, 10:56 PM   #3
Noobanidus

Sure, itcould be done that way, but it would be infinitely easier and more reliable if there was a simple function to call to see if a questId had been completed today.

Given the susceptibility to corruption/truncation inherent with game crashes (for whatever reasons), SavedVariables just aren't reliable enough that you can definitively say "Yes, you haven't done this quest today" or "No, you have done it".

02/23/16, 11:17 PM   #4
Randactyl
Originally Posted by Noobanidus View Post
Given the susceptibility to corruption/truncation inherent with game crashes (for whatever reasons)
That's easy - if a crash occurs all saved var data created or changed since the last UI load is not written to the files. So yeah, it's a small risk. But that goes for anything and if a user has a history of instablility they've probably figured this out by now (I'm taken back to saving before going through any door in a heavily modded Skyrim lol).

I was just addressing the "this is impossible" sentiment

02/24/16, 06:40 AM   #5
sirinsidiator

Isn't there already an addon that does exactly what you want? Just saying.

02/24/16, 07:57 AM   #6
Noobanidus

I didn't realise I'd been so unclear in my original post, sorry.

I'm not asking for an add-on, I know there are add-ons that do this, and I understand how they're doing it.

What I am asking for is a way to would make these add-ons more reliable, which would benefit the community as a whole.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [outdated] Request: GetRepeatableQuestCompletedToday