07/30/15, 07:54 AM   #1
kerb9729
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[outdated] Friend and Guildmate coordinates

It would be nice to have a method to get the location within a zone of players in your friends list or guild(s)

Currently all I can see is that I have five friends in Glenumbra - Glenumbra is a big place!

07/30/15, 08:27 AM   #2
merlight
I hope to never see this implemented.

From the client-side point of view, it would have to be opt-in, or with explicit request only. I don't want the game client to be flooded with hundreds of useless trade-guild member location updates. Not even while not in combat.

From the server-side point of view, even if this feature were per-request, everyone doing these requests (manually or via an add-on) would increase server/network load, gimping the performance for the rest of us.

07/30/15, 08:30 AM   #3
Ayantir

As merlight says, I don't think it could possible

friendlist is almost unlimited and we can easily get 1500 - 2500 folks in guilds. it would be too much for real time.

and asking coordinates per request.. is not really realtime.

07/30/15, 10:17 AM   #4
sirinsidiator

I wonder what you would do with that information?
If you just want to see them in your guild roster for own curiosity I would say it's wasted performance.
You can already travel to a player and get to the closest wayshrine, or if you really need to know where they are exactly you can join a group with them.
Besides I would not want other players to get my coordinates without my knowledge or a way to prevent that. That would ruin pvp when you are in a cross faction guild and anyone could just track you down.

07/31/15, 07:35 AM   #5
kerb9729
LOL put the pitchforks away!

I don't think I phrased my request correctly. Really the title should have been "Location of the nearest shrine to friends or guildmates"

I can already see what zone my friends or guildmates are in. I can travel to the wayshrine closest to one of them. What I'd like is the ability to see which wayshrine that would be.

Last edited by kerb9729 : 07/31/15 at 07:40 AM.

08/03/15, 11:04 PM   #6
Fyrakin

Well, that is fair enough. Though I doubt it would be a good idea to implement that. Server would have to evaluate closest shrine for every single in the list just to show you instead of only one which you travel to.

08/04/15, 06:34 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Just an idea of a less server stressing "workaround":
Maybe one could prehook the port to function and add a dialog which will show you the zone and wayshrine name that you need to acknowledge before the port starts.

08/07/15, 08:35 PM   #8
Arterion
Addons in games like WoW do this with a negligible performance hit. The reason no such thing exists for ESO is because there is no way for different players' addons to communicate with each other. It's an intentional limitation.

08/08/15, 11:37 AM   #9
Fyrakin

Originally Posted by Arterion View Post
Addons in games like WoW do this with a negligible performance hit. The reason no such thing exists for ESO is because there is no way for different players' addons to communicate with each other. It's an intentional limitation.
Communication between characters via add-ons would be awesome for ESO. it wouldn't break any immersion or harm anyone/anything. I would vote for it to be implemented.

08/08/15, 01:09 PM   #10
sirinsidiator

True. It would make so many things possible that are done via chat or other means right now.
On second though, it would make so many things possible that are not done right now... scary

08/08/15, 01:25 PM   #11
QuadroTony
Banned
i heard long ago and i think its the main reason why they not adding this - bots
it will be alot free space for bots developers with communications between addons and players etc.

will be created emulator of player to command by others etc etc

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [outdated] Friend and Guildmate coordinates