02/03/16, 04:08 PM   #41
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
Trying to get them posted. I think community is busy with the game notes right now.
02/04/16, 05:55 AM   #42
TERAB1T
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hi Chip!

System works, but still have some bugs.

1. Font bugs on the character selection screen.

File \esoui\pregame\characterselect\keyboard\zo_characterselect_keyboard.xml

You forgot to change font definitions: http://i.imgur.com/QnDCfif.jpg

2. Crown Store doesn't work at all - both text and fonts: 1, 2, 3

3. Gamepad UI - a lot of font bugs: 1, 2, 3
As far as I remember these bugs were related to the function ZO_TooltipStyledObject:GetFontString(...), but I am not sure.

4. Chat Bubbles still doesn't work.

If I find something else, I will write it here.

Last edited by TERAB1T : 02/04/16 at 06:47 AM.
02/04/16, 09:53 AM   #43
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
Originally Posted by TERAB1T View Post
Hi Chip!

System works, but still have some bugs.

1. Font bugs on the character selection screen.

File \esoui\pregame\characterselect\keyboard\zo_characterselect_keyboard.xml

You forgot to change font definitions: http://i.imgur.com/QnDCfif.jpg

2. Crown Store doesn't work at all - both text and fonts: 1, 2, 3

3. Gamepad UI - a lot of font bugs: 1, 2, 3
As far as I remember these bugs were related to the function ZO_TooltipStyledObject:GetFontString(...), but I am not sure.

4. Chat Bubbles still doesn't work.

If I find something else, I will write it here.

1. I have a fix in for this.

2. Nothing is allowed to touch crown store strings in any language right now for security reasons. This is unlikely to change.

3. These can be fixed by swapping out the fontFace properties in ZO_TOOLTIP_STYLES with your fonts. I'd probably just iterate the style tables and check for the fontFace property and if it exists swap it out with your font.

4. This one might be possible to add, but it isn't something chat bubbles can do right now.
02/04/16, 10:43 AM   #44
TERAB1T
Originally Posted by ZOS_ChipHilseberg View Post
1. I have a fix in for this.

2. Nothing is allowed to touch crown store strings in any language right now for security reasons. This is unlikely to change.

3. These can be fixed by swapping out the fontFace properties in ZO_TOOLTIP_STYLES with your fonts. I'd probably just iterate the style tables and check for the fontFace property and if it exists swap it out with your font.

4. This one might be possible to add, but it isn't something chat bubbles can do right now.
1. Great.

2. Understandable. But how to remove these "[ENG]" prefixes then? Maybe you allow us atleast partial translation? For example names and descriptions only. As you can see above, we still can change Crown Store strings, but don't have proper fonts.

3. Thanks.

Last edited by TERAB1T : 02/04/16 at 10:49 AM.
02/04/16, 10:52 AM   #45
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
I can swap it so it loads $(officialLanguage)_client.lua so the unhandled strings will be english instead of the [eng] strings.
02/04/16, 02:31 PM   #46
Cervanteso
Thumbs up

Spanish translation is working fine except for Crown Store. TERAB1T's already described the problem. Thanks a lot for supporting us, Chip.
02/05/16, 08:17 AM   #47
DarioZ
ESO Italia working too
02/18/16, 03:12 AM   #48
TERAB1T
Hey Chip!

All three bugs above are fixed, thanks for this. But I've found two other problems:

1. North direction on compass (SI_COMPASS_NORTH_ABBREVIATION) always uses original English string ("N"), not our modified string. In Russian "North" is "Север", so we need to use letter "С", not "N". We can fix this bug by ourselves, but a native fix is always better.
2. And again Crown Store. "[ENG]" prefixes are not a problem anymore, but we have some problems with fonts. When you hover on item, you can see this item's card with description. This description is not related to Crown Store, but still uses native fonts, not modified: http://i.imgur.com/VCGU7C5.jpg

Can you allow us to use custom fonts in Crown Store? Custom fonts can't cause any security issues, right? Because we still can't change any interface strings there.
02/29/16, 05:04 PM   #49
TERAB1T
Hey Chip! Any luck we'll have a fix for the problem above?
03/01/16, 05:40 PM   #50
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
Originally Posted by TERAB1T View Post
Hey Chip!

All three bugs above are fixed, thanks for this. But I've found two other problems:

1. North direction on compass (SI_COMPASS_NORTH_ABBREVIATION) always uses original English string ("N"), not our modified string. In Russian "North" is "Север", so we need to use letter "С", not "N". We can fix this bug by ourselves, but a native fix is always better.
2. And again Crown Store. "[ENG]" prefixes are not a problem anymore, but we have some problems with fonts. When you hover on item, you can see this item's card with description. This description is not related to Crown Store, but still uses native fonts, not modified: http://i.imgur.com/VCGU7C5.jpg

Can you allow us to use custom fonts in Crown Store? Custom fonts can't cause any security issues, right? Because we still can't change any interface strings there.
Both of these are possible but will require a non-trivial amount of work. They will not be in the next update.
03/22/16, 03:25 PM   #51
TERAB1T
Hey Chip!

Any news about Crown Store fix? It's very annoying bug, and for now this is the only bug, that we can't fix by ourselves.
04/10/16, 04:49 PM   #52
TERAB1T
Okay, you said it's hard to fix. But how about this? We can move all fonts to separate .str file (say "*_fonts.str") and load this file in Crown Store UI without loading custom interface strings.

Our goal: we need to make custom fonts support, BUT we also want to disallow editing of interface strings in Crown Store.

We have three files:

1. \esoui\pregamelocalization\pregamelocalization.txt

Lua Code:
  1. ## DependsOn: ZO_FontDefs
  2. EsoUI\PregameLocalization\LocalizePregameGeneratedStrings.lua
  3. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(officialLanguage)_pregame.lua
  4. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(language)_pregame.str

2. \esoui\ingamelocalization\ingamelocalization.txt

Lua Code:
  2. EsoUI\IngameLocalization\LocalizeGeneratedStrings.lua
  3. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(officialLanguage)_client.lua
  4. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(language)_client.str

3. \esoui\internalingamelocalization\internalingamelocalization.txt

Lua Code:
  2. EsoUI\InternalIngameLocalization\LocalizeInternalIngameGeneratedStrings.lua
  3. ; For now, all of the InternalIngame strings will be compiled into the client.lua files
  4. ; if memory becomes an issue, since we are duplicating ingame strings into another GUI,
  5. ; we will need game tools to create new output internalingame.lua files
  6. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(officialLanguage)_client.lua

So what do we need to do? Move all fonts from $(language)_pregame.str and $(language)_client.str to the new file: $(language)_fonts.str. From now "pregame.str" and "client.str" will contain only strings, and "fonts.str" - only fonts. So those three files above can be changed like this:

1. \esoui\pregamelocalization\pregamelocalization.txt

Lua Code:
  2. EsoUI\PregameLocalization\LocalizePregameGeneratedStrings.lua
  3. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(officialLanguage)_pregame.lua
  4. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(language)_pregame.str
  5. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(language)_fonts.str

2. \esoui\ingamelocalization\ingamelocalization.txt

Lua Code:
  2. EsoUI\IngameLocalization\LocalizeGeneratedStrings.lua
  3. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(officialLanguage)_client.lua
  4. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(language)_client.str
  5. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(language)_fonts.str

3. \esoui\internalingamelocalization\internalingamelocalization.txt

Lua Code:
  2. EsoUI\InternalIngameLocalization\LocalizeInternalIngameGeneratedStrings.lua
  3. ; For now, all of the InternalIngame strings will be compiled into the client.lua files
  4. ; if memory becomes an issue, since we are duplicating ingame strings into another GUI,
  5. ; we will need game tools to create new output internalingame.lua files
  6. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(officialLanguage)_client.lua
  7. $(languageDirectory)\lang\$(language)_fonts.str

I don't know is it possible (since I don't know how the system works on deeper levels), but I hope this will help. What do you think?

Last edited by TERAB1T : 05/09/16 at 04:53 AM.
04/28/16, 04:28 AM   #53
TERAB1T
Chip, tell us something please. If you are not going to fix this, just say so. So we can stop waiting. Ignoring is the worst.
05/09/16, 04:06 AM   #54
Scraelos
Lightbulb

We have started a discussion on ESO forums https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...roken-in-2-4-0
06/16/16, 07:46 AM   #55
Scraelos
Unhappy

We have ZOS answer on our issue, but no real actions yet(
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.co...omment_3004397
06/16/16, 08:01 AM   #56
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
With some of the new tech for the Japanese client that just went in with Dark Brotherhood we can dynamically add letters to the font at run time. With this we could allow alphabets like Cyrillic to be used even though the game fonts don't have any glyphs for those characters. In the game font they would appear as boxes, but with a font file that has those glyphs it would work. This would mean there would be no need to remap Cyrillic onto other supported characters, which would allow the crown store to show up in English correctly. What do you think of that idea?
06/16/16, 08:44 AM   #57
TERAB1T
With some of the new tech for the Japanese client that just went in with Dark Brotherhood we can dynamically add letters to the font at run time. With this we could allow alphabets like Cyrillic to be used even though the game fonts don't have any glyphs for those characters. In the game font they would appear as boxes, but with a font file that has those glyphs it would work. This would mean there would be no need to remap Cyrillic onto other supported characters, which would allow the crown store to show up in English correctly. What do you think of that idea?
Well, this idea is great (for other reasons), but this will not solve our problem with Crown Store. We have two main problems now:

1. Crown Store

Sometimes Crown Store loads Russian strings (especially in tooltips), but Crown Store uses default fonts (without cyrillic characters), so we see broken names, descriptions etc. Take a look:

So our problem is not in the characters remapping, our problem is in inability to load custom fonts. If we'll use normal cyrillic characters, our Crown Store still will be broken, but instead of incorrect latin characters we'll see boxes, because we can't remap the whole font (e.g. "EsoUI/Common/Fonts/Univers67.otf" -> "RuESO/Fonts/Univers67.otf").

2. Chat Bubbles and Nameplates

These features don't have an ability to change their fonts. Can we have something similar to SetSCTKeyboardFont(...) and SetSCTGamepadFont(...), but for Chat Bubbles and Nameplates please?

And one more thing - I noticed your recent changes with charset system. And I tried to use native cyrillic characters, but saw only boxes (even with proper fonts with cyrillic support). How to use it properly?

Last edited by TERAB1T : 06/16/16 at 08:54 AM.
06/16/16, 09:41 AM   #58
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
Okay, I think I see the issue. Then I propose 3 changes:
  • Allow Cyrillic as a character range that can dynamically render glyphs at run time.
  • Load a .str file for internal ingame, but restrict it to font setup only.
  • Add APIs to set fonts for nameplates and chat bubbles.

Would that be sufficient to fix all of the issues?
06/16/16, 09:44 AM   #59
TERAB1T
Would that be sufficient to fix all of the issues?
Yes, that will be enough to fix all of our issues. Thank you!

Last edited by TERAB1T : 06/16/16 at 03:57 PM.
06/22/16, 11:42 AM   #60
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
The first two changes should be on the first PTS build.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Custom Localizations