04/25/17, 07:57 AM   #21
Dolgubon

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I also think that a setting for trial addons would be helpful. Maybe it could also extend to Cyrodil too. If it does, it could be renamed to HeavyAddon or some similar name.
04/25/17, 08:13 AM   #22
votan

Originally Posted by Dolgubon View Post
I also think that a setting for trial addons would be helpful. Maybe it could also extend to Cyrodil too. If it does, it could be renamed to HeavyAddon or some similar name.
Well, we are talking about build-in support of (hard-coded) sets of addon-profiles. (context: PvE, PvP, Trial, ...)
Which means to do a /reloadui during transfer, if the set of addons, valid for the target profile, would change traveling to/from Cyrodiil and so on.

ufff, not easy.

/edit: BTW: What would happen, if an addon would do /reloadui at EVENT_PLAYER_DEACTIVATED ?

Last edited by votan : 04/25/17 at 08:18 AM.
04/25/17, 08:39 AM   #23
AssemblerManiac
Originally Posted by ZOS_ChipHilseberg View Post
It's possible, but not something we could do quickly. The UI only loads once when you first get in game. After that, traveling to different areas doesn't reload the UI. There is no support right now for dynamic loading of an addon and dynamic unloading would be much harder than that.
Wasn't talking about dynamic unloading, just a forced reloadui. The loading system figures out which addons it needs to load based on where the player is (inside a trial or not).

Nothing overly fancy like unloading stuff from memory, I know that would be difficult, especially with addons and dependencies/optional depends.
04/25/17, 11:44 AM   #24
sirinsidiator

I think this is going into a wrong direction. The whole "I want to addon set 1 while doing x" thing is IMO just a sign that some addons are too heavy. Instead of trying to get ZOS to add something to disable them based on a value in the manifest, I think it would be better if we could get ZOS to add something to allow us to easily profile performance and memory usage of addons in certain scenarios. That way we can easily find out why someone wants addon a, b and c disabled during a trial and do something about it.
Besides, it is pretty easy to write an addon that manages other addons based on the zone you are in and automatically reload the ui with only some addons enabled, but pretty much impossible to write an addon to analyze other addons performance and memory usage.
04/25/17, 03:34 PM   #25
AssemblerManiac
It's possible, but not something we could do quickly. The UI only loads once when you first get in game. After that, traveling to different areas doesn't reload the UI. There is no support right now for dynamic loading of an addon and dynamic unloading would be much harder than that.
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
I think this is going into a wrong direction. The whole "I want to addon set 1 while doing x" thing is IMO just a sign that some addons are too heavy. Instead of trying to get ZOS to add something to disable them based on a value in the manifest, I think it would be better if we could get ZOS to add something to allow us to easily profile performance and memory usage of addons in certain scenarios. That way we can easily find out why someone wants addon a, b and c disabled during a trial and do something about it.
Besides, it is pretty easy to write an addon that manages other addons based on the zone you are in and automatically reload the ui with only some addons enabled, but pretty much impossible to write an addon to analyze other addons performance and memory usage.
Who said anything about analyzing someone elses addon? I'm talking strictly from the addon author point of view where, as authors, we know if our addon is heavy enough to cause performance problems where someone would want max responsiveness (trials).

If we can write a library that's easy enough to use, that forces reloadui when going into trials IF they have an addon loaded that they don't want to have, then lets do it.

Basic features
- pop up list of addons that are currently loaded
- allow user to mark which to not run during trials
- grab snapshot of "what's loaded" when entering trial, remove some, reload (if any were selected)
- figure out which event to track to know when they're going into/out of a trial zone
- restore snapshot of "what's loaded" when exiting trial

If this needs to move to a diff thread, someone split it off pls.
04/26/17, 12:49 AM   #26
manavortex

While I see siri's point (it's not really ZOS's problem that we as add-on authors haven't managed to come up with a decent replacement for MasterMerchant ), I also second Assembler:

I'm using AddOn Select to have different AddOn states that I can load for different game contexts. My solution works fine for me.

My sets are:
  • trading
  • pve
  • ava
  • debug
  • debug (current addon)

However, while I am content with my solution, it's somewhat maintenance intensive. Whenever I get a new AddOn, I have to adjust four to five AddOn-profiles. I know fully well that the standard user* cannot be arsed to invest that much effort to make sure that their game runs smoothly**.

A way to mark AddOns based on their context would hence be awesome - as would the option to simultaneously hold two lists of AddOns, an active and an inactive one. If anything else would be too taxing on your side, I'm confident that we could do the rest - provide the user with some customised version of AddOn Select that would be clever enough to tell the different contexts apart?

* I was about to mention console users, who can't install an AddOn to manage their AddOns. Fortunately, I noticed in time.
** My standard use case is my husband. "My ESO is lagging!" - "Then deactivate some AddOns?" - "I don't want to! It's taking so long each time!" - "Use AddOn Select and create a profile?" - "I don't want to!" - "..." - "My ESO is lagging!"***
***Overexaggerating for the sake of entertainment

Last edited by manavortex : 04/26/17 at 12:51 AM. Reason: formatting
05/26/17, 09:16 PM   #27
Sharlikran

The error and the memory limit setting will be removed from the game when Morrowind launches.
For the novice user having an advanced option like this will make no sense. They won't know what is a reasonable amount to set it to. In that respect have a setting you like as default for the warning like 128MB.

It has been mentioned to add something to the game settings and I like that idea. Would it be feasible to add an ON/OFF option and under it a small text box. With Shissu's LUA memory, he has an option to report how much LUA memory is being used. Would you be willing to add that the the game settings also?

Savvy mod users could then see how much is in use, use common sense that it's probably because of certain mods they have that collect data like HarvestMap, and then turn the warning on and set the warning to occur when they want.

To me that just seems pretty easy. However, if you prefer not to do that can you leave in the ability for a mod author to use the API and make those changes please.
05/26/17, 09:26 PM   #28
Rhyono
Originally Posted by Sharlikran View Post
For the novice user having an advanced option like this will make no sense. They won't know what is a reasonable amount to set it to. In that respect have a setting you like as default for the warning like 128MB.
Well the warning never actually did anything in the first place. I think their ideal options were to either remove it or make it useful (like resource intensive addons having a warning or something) and option A was easier.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Lua Memory Limit Error