06/28/15, 02:27 PM   #1
Jenneke

Post [REQ] Guild Listing/Search

As a fairly new player, I've noticed that it can be hard to find decent guilds to join without just spamming zone chat and praying. So, what I'm hoping for is an addon that lets you browse a list of guilds and see some basic information about them.

I'm not sure how the listings would be generated, maybe the addon crawling the server, or (more likely) the guildmasters who want to be listed would submit data to the author and be added.

Features I'd really like to see:
* Guild names
* Contact info (guildleader/officer name)
* Guild faction (primary faction)
* Guild Store? Y/N, location
* Main purpose of guild. Pve/PvP/Crafting/Trading/Etc.
* Sort functions for each of those
* Maybe a search bar, either text input or search by category (AD PvP guilds, DC Trading guilds, etc)
06/29/15, 01:10 AM   #2
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
not doable
06/29/15, 02:51 AM   #3
sirinsidiator

At least the crawling is impossible.
Showing a list of guilds is doable, but keeping it up to date is a huge undertaking and not worth the effort IMHO.

There are already lots of ways to find guilds.
Here on EsoUI
On the official forums (There are subforums for every server. Just got to the forum overview and scroll down to the bottom)
On reddit
eso-database.com
Just to name a few.
06/29/15, 12:53 PM   #4
Jenneke

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
At least the crawling is impossible.
Showing a list of guilds is doable, but keeping it up to date is a huge undertaking and not worth the effort IMHO.

There are already lots of ways to find guilds.
Here on EsoUI
On the official forums (There are subforums for every server. Just got to the forum overview and scroll down to the bottom)
On reddit
eso-database.com
Just to name a few.
But nothing in-game. As for keeping it up to date, maybe a form on a tab of the addon screen for people to just fill in the blanks, and have it send the information to the author or someone in charge of maintaining the list. With a form it just becomes a matter of plugging in the blanks and either uploading, or being stored for an update release.

And yeah, I can see that it would be a lot of work to update it, but that would taper off. Either the addon wouldn't be very popular, in which case it won't be a huge amount of work; or if it was big, requests would taper off over time as the number of unlisted guilds decreases.

The best thing I can think of is for there to be some way to automate the submission process. I don't know how much, if any, out-of-game access addons can have, but maybe set it up to dump submission forms as a text or database file into a Drive account? And then, idk, a way to merge them into one database.

I don't know how to design things like this, but maybe some of these ideas will give someone who can some inspiration.
06/29/15, 01:04 PM   #5
Ayantir

Hard to do, already thinked about it.

Our mailbox is capped and, let's imagine you want something popular, how long does it takes to hit the maximum capacity of the mailbox of the author ?

+ Mails are a way slow and cannot be used for real time addon.
+ It will require author to be connected @24.
+ Mails are capped in max length, so get the list of the whole guilds will need a lot of mails, which is also hard to do, because sending mail got its limitations too.
+ It will require author to write the client side of the addon and the deamon side of the mail engine system..

no, not really easy to do.

The only way for those kind of addons, should be like the old L2WH did for people who knows, install a deamon as service in windows.
It will maybe sniff ESO memory, maybe communicate between clients with a P2P system, maybe sniff ESO encrypted network & it will require a very good coder, a huge trust of community into this author and .. author could get banned with 99% chance for doing this.

Or.
You can sweetly ask ZOS to let the addons talk between them throught the chat system on the debug channels.
06/29/15, 07:39 PM   #6
Sasky
You really wouldn't be able to automate well from in-game. The best bet would be to have some sort of website form. You could (with enough effort) even automate adding the form submissions. However, consider that you'll need some sort of access control or you'll have tons of spam and vandalism. Then consider that it'll be eating up Lua memory--if it's successful--that 99% of play time won't be used.

The bottom line is simply: What's the point?

What can an listing ingame do that one of the external forums can't do better?

Maybe you can convince ZOS to make some sort of guild bulletin boards. They might actually do it if you pitch it for consoles being unable to simply Alt+Tab out of the game. (IMO, it'd be a waste of their time as well.) But addons are rather ill-suited to do something like this.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » [REQ] Guild Listing/Search