02/16/14, 02:41 PM   #1
Ryjacork

General Elder Scrolls Discussion

So while waiting for ESO to come out and killing time between beta events, I thought it would be a fun to have a place where we could discuss the rich Elder Scrolls lore, and our experience with the past single player games, from Arena to Morrowind to Skyrim.
02/16/14, 04:04 PM   #2
AlleyKat

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
vich faction cooler: Dominion or Buggerfall??????!

Last edited by AlleyKat : 02/16/14 at 05:41 PM.
02/23/14, 08:14 AM   #3
Shroudeye

I played every game in the story line so far and none of them have been a disappointment for myself. Those new to Elder Scrolls may seek out the lore and become acquainted with it, for it is very interesting and entertaining.
03/17/14, 12:08 PM   #4
WrinkleStiltskin

What's in a title? Would a Doctor smell any worse with a different name?

Lore, lore, lore. I started with Oblivion, bought it because it was touted and I was about to go to the beach (an annual family reunion where my cousins and I completely ignore the expense and beauty of vacation to do some serious hardcore gaming for a week. Sounds sick, but it's worse. Sea sickness meds [drammimine] used on land in a dark basement because Doom 32X was giving one of us motion sickness and as Farnsworth said "play time is fun time"). So I pounded on Oblivion for quite a while and eventually came out with a very viable mage build, which wasn't very easy in that game. Eventually I had to get a mace for a few choice side quests, but all main story I did magic only. As an introduction to the series, it was good for lore. I'm video kid from Atari 2600, played every console I know of that exists including neo geo and CDI except for colecovision. A few years after Oblivion, a friend introduced me to Morrowind. I still haven't beat it, I just don't have the nostalgia for it that I should ; ; I enjoyed the story, and knowing what I was willing to give up, I even used forbidden console commands to run stupid fast, and `tgm, but I bridged that gap long ago and can't seem to get back into such an old archaic play style. I truly do enjoy puzzles and am willing to read text walls, the nature of being able to fail in the fully scoped and real sense appeals to me. I just have trouble sitting down and playing it for long periods to get immersion. I do, however, know a decent amount of lore from the era. And then there was Skyrim.. I have only the vanilla, but it's all I need. I see the story progression, I see the callbacks, I understand the dumb down for a larger audience.
I love lore rich games, TES is a great series for it. I'm glad they set it in an area of little defined time. I really wonder where they will take it. I honestly see this as being a 10+ year title. That is a lot of story to traverse. AvA is just a time sync, story drives the heart of a true MMO. I am hardcore High Elf by play style, and therefore by lore, so I choose to pack with Clan Direnni, at ESO present there is no mention of the Isle of Balfiera, or the Adamantine Tower. The wood elves have their aedric god roots in storyline. Only time will tell if you see my kin in TESO.
03/28/14, 08:01 AM   #5
Demendred

My first was Morrowind. I remember taking that potion that makes you jump really high, only to fall and die. I knew I was in love with this series. After that, the rest is history.

ESOUI » General Discussion » Chit-Chat » General Elder Scrolls Discussion