11/29/15, 10:38 PM   #1
Mr.Junky
Two Game Copies

I had a quick question about ESO.

I bought ESO when it came out for PC in April of 2014. Been playing with that retail copy until now. I just bought the game on Steam so I can use trading cards and have the steam overlay with guides and the gamehub easy to access. Now I own two copies of the game. One copy is retail and now a steam copy. When I got my retail copy I did registered the CD Key from the retail copy and made a account. I still use that account and log in with it on my steam copy. But since I have a CD Key from my steam copy is it possible to give it to a friend so he/she can register it and play? And if so is that legal? And if it is legal once my friend register the game will it mess up my Steam copy since someone else will be using the Steam CD Key?

How it boils down is if possible and legally I would like to use my retail CD Key and play with my Steam copy but have my friend use the Steam CD Key and play with my retail copy.
11/30/15, 03:48 AM   #2
Ravalox Darkshire
Ravalox of Lake Superior

Premium Member
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Originally Posted by Mr.Junky View Post
I had a quick question about ESO.

I bought ESO when it came out for PC in April of 2014. Been playing with that retail copy until now. I just bought the game on Steam so I can use trading cards and have the steam overlay with guides and the gamehub easy to access. Now I own two copies of the game. One copy is retail and now a steam copy. When I got my retail copy I did registered the CD Key from the retail copy and made a account. I still use that account and log in with it on my steam copy. But since I have a CD Key from my steam copy is it possible to give it to a friend so he/she can register it and play? And if so is that legal? And if it is legal once my friend register the game will it mess up my Steam copy since someone else will be using the Steam CD Key?

How it boils down is if possible and legally I would like to use my retail CD Key and play with my Steam copy but have my friend use the Steam CD Key and play with my retail copy.
ZOS' TOS covers this here:

3. LIMITED LICENSE TO USE
Subject to the terms in these Terms of Service and Your compliance with all of the terms and conditions in these Terms of Service, ZeniMax grants to You, for Your personal and private use only, a non-exclusive, revocable, nontransferable license to use Services as set forth in these Terms of Service.

You may not (a) distribute, publicly perform or display, sell, transmit, publish, edit, reproduce, sublicense, rent, lease, loan or otherwise transfer any Game, Software, and/or Content, including without limitation any access keys; (b) modify, adapt, reverse engineer or decompile the Software, or otherwise attempt to derive source code from the Software; (c) create any derivative works based upon any Services; (d) otherwise use any Services except as expressly provided in these Terms of Service; (e) copy or download any Software or Content unless the Content is Downloadable Content (other than Virtual Currency) or You are otherwise expressly authorized to do so in writing by ZeniMax; and/or (f) remove, obscure, or alter copyright, patent, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices affixed to any Services. Any commercial use is prohibited absent written permission by an authorized representative of ZeniMax.
So, technically, no you cannot give your friend your retail copy to play with. These things have been known to occur, but they are not legal.

The good news? the game is on sale for 24$ ...
https://account.elderscrollsonline.c...532.1395949164

Hope this helps your friend...
11/30/15, 03:57 AM   #3
QuadroTony
Banned
you cannot use already redeemed code

so the steam code cannot be used to registering account if you already redeem it
like in any other games
11/30/15, 11:05 AM   #4
Mr.Junky
Darn, Then I have one more question. If I activated the new steam CD Key and created an account will I be able to log into my retail CD Key and my Steam CD Key with my Steam game copy. Or will it only allow me to log in with my Steam CD Key account? I guess if I can't give it to a friend I can have two accounts and have 16 saves if possible.
11/30/15, 12:45 PM   #5
Ravalox Darkshire
Ravalox of Lake Superior

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Mr.Junky View Post
Darn, Then I have one more question. If I activated the new steam CD Key and created an account will I be able to log into my retail CD Key and my Steam CD Key with my Steam game copy. Or will it only allow me to log in with my Steam CD Key account? I guess if I can't give it to a friend I can have two accounts and have 16 saves if possible.
Yep, you can log in to any account from any computer. So you can have use of all 16 slots.
11/30/15, 01:18 PM   #6
Mr.Junky
Originally Posted by Ravalox Darkshire View Post
Yep, you can log in to any account from any computer. So you can have use of all 16 slots.
Cool! I guess my friend will have to get it ASAP on steam while its on sale. But atleast I can have 16 slots but a downside with two accounts is that if I want the DLC for all my files I have to buy it twice

Atleast I can enjoy ESO with tons of saves! Thanks for all of your help!
11/30/15, 01:56 PM   #7
QuadroTony
Banned
ok now - the real answer

you can give/sell whatever you want with your account
and your account will not be banned for this

only if you admit your guilty, etc, and write to support - they will ban you ofc
for now ZOS CANNOT ban you if they detect the ip-adress of the account was changed(this is only one change can be detected when account changing the ownership)

ofcourse its agains the rulers
but i know alot of persons who bought used accounts,
I, already have few account that was not mine long ago, etc etc
and since launch of ESO i didnt know a single ban for it
12/02/15, 12:53 AM   #8
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
ip address of the account changes in EU several times as some ISps got 24h disconnect rules and will give you a new ip, so this shouldn't be a criterium to ban accounts at all

ESOUI » General Discussion » Tech Chat » Two Game Copies