05/27/17, 11:39 AM   #1
Atlan

Question Is there a problem with the use of DSS (DirectDraw Surface) files in add-ons

In the past month I noticed that one add-on after the other stopped displaying icons on macOS. While the game itself is not affected. Talking to other players it is clear that on Windows the add-ons work fine.

I tried to investigate and find out what could be problem. Doing so I noticed that icons are stored in DDS files. DSS (DirectDraw Surface) is a Microsoft prohibitory format format for storing textures and on Microsoft Windows DDS support is build into Direct X.

First I thought that macOS might not be able to load DDS file. But this is not true. The QuestMap add-on has two icon sets. One set that works and one that does not. The sets are defined like this:

Code:
--[[

Quest Map
by CaptainBlagbird
https://github.com/CaptainBlagbird

--]]

QuestMap.iconSets = {
    QuestMap = {"QuestMap/icons/pinQuestUncompleted.dds", "QuestMap/icons/pinQuestCompleted.dds"},
    ESO = {"/esoui/art/floatingmarkers/quest_available_icon.dds", "/esoui/art/icons/achievements_indexicon_quests_down.dds"},
}
From what I can see one set is provided by the add-on the other by the ESO itself. The one provided by ESO works fine. I have been looking for the files mentioned but could not find them anywhere. (Side Question: Is there a list of provided DDS file anywhere?)

Question: is there a problem with the use of DSS (DirectDraw Surface) files in add-ons? Could it be that the macOS library loading DDS files is outdated, reduced in functionality or just buggy? Or is it something entirely different I have not thought of?

I attached 4 screenshots using the Quest Map add-on to show the problem. The first two show not marker the last two show the marker correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170527_200656.jpg
Views:	1459
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	888  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170527_200810.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	889  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170527_200826.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	890  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170527_200834.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	891  

Last edited by Atlan : 05/27/17 at 12:18 PM. Reason: add screenshots
05/27/17, 01:58 PM   #2
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
I would say it's more a problem with pathing than anything else

open lua / xml files and replace "\" with "/"
05/27/17, 02:54 PM   #3
Atlan

Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
open lua / xml files and replace "\" with "/"

Interesting. But QuestMap already uses / and the first one does not work.

Code:
    QuestMap = {"QuestMap/icons/pinQuestUncompleted.dds", "QuestMap/icons/pinQuestCompleted.dds"},
    ESO = {"/esoui/art/floatingmarkers/quest_available_icon.dds", "/esoui/art/icons/achievements_indexicon_quests_down.dds"},

But I check the other files just to be sure.

05/27/17, 03:12 PM   #4
Shinni
So not sure if that's the issue, but it seems the files are in the wrong dds format.

I can't open the files in the preview, but if I re-encode them as .dds DXT5 (the format eso uses), I can preview them. So the files are probably not using DXT5.
Also note the filesize difference.

(original file on the left, re-encoded file on the right)

Not sure, if that's going to solve the problem, but you could try replacing the textures with these DXT5 encoded ones:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vn26kmezfg...leted.dds?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vxgif6hcr...leted.dds?dl=0

Note that the game needs to be close, when you replace the textures because the game it caches the files.
05/28/17, 08:52 AM   #5
Atlan

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Shinni View Post
Not sure, if that's going to solve the problem, but you could try replacing the textures with these DXT5 encoded ones:
I tried your files but sadly that did not work either. It was the most promising idea.

I did one more experiment. I patched SkyShards.lua like this:

Code:
local pinTextures = {
    unknown = {
        [1] = "/esoui/art/progression/skyshard_base.dds",
        [2] = "SkyShards/Icons/Skyshard-unknown-alternative.dds",
        [3] = "SkyShards/Icons/Skyshard-unknown-Esohead.dds",
        [4] = "SkyShards/Icons/Skyshard-unknown-Rushmik.dds",
        [5] = "SkyShards/Icons/Skyshard-unknown-Heidra.dds",
    },
    collected = {
        [1] = "/esoui/art/progression/skyshard_base.dds",
        [2] = "SkyShards/Icons/Skyshard-collected-alternative.dds",
        [3] = "SkyShards/Icons/Skyshard-collected-Esohead.dds",
        [4] = "SkyShards/Icons/Skyshard-collected-Rushmik.dds",
        [5] = "SkyShards/Icons/Skyshard-collected-Heidra.dds",
    },
}
That looks ugly but at least it displays something on the map. I don't know what the difference is between the files provided from the add-on and those provided by ESO but somehow one works and the other don't.
05/28/17, 09:31 AM   #6
Ayantir

If #1 eso addon addon don't work on this platform, I guess, we would had some feedback since .. years ?

There's maybe an update which broked the thing, another mac feedback would be interesting
05/28/17, 10:20 AM   #7
Atlan

Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
If #1 eso addon addon don't work on this platform, I guess, we would had some feedback since .. years ?
Someone has the be the first to give feedback. That could well be me. And as I said it has worked in the past. It's not broken for years. It's only broken for a few month. And it's silent problem. Just the icons won't display. Everything else works fine.

Which reminds me: I have to look for a way to download old versions. That might be something to check.

But I take your critique serious and try a full reinstall tomorrow. Game and add-ons. Actually add-ons I can try right away.
05/28/17, 10:53 AM   #8
Atlan

Unhappy Testing only with Skyshards

Originally Posted by Atlan View Post
Actually add-ons I can try right away.
Deleted all add-ons and all SavedVariables, installed just SkyShards, started the game, wrote another bug report because SkyShards crashes in LibAnnyoingUpdateNotificationInGame on first start, tested Skyshards and well, see screenshot. The popup message is there but the icon is missing.

To bad. If you had been right, problem found �� . So it's full reinstall tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170528_184106.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	893  

Last edited by Atlan : 05/28/17 at 11:40 AM.
06/05/17, 06:17 AM   #9
Atlan

Unhappy Still not solved.

BTW: Reinstalling the TESO did not work either.
11/11/17, 08:15 AM   #10
Till
Could you meanwhile find a solution?
I seem to have a very similar problem, although occurring on a Windows 10 computer (Corsair One Pro, with 1080 Ti graphics card), bought a few days ago.
Some very specific icons/features are not shown
- in skyshards, all icons are missing, in the setting menu of the addon as well on the map.
- in lost treasures, the red and black crosses are not shown (neither menu nor map), but other icons which can be selected, work fine
- in trait buddy, the icon for medium armor is missing (when selecting for light or medium armor).. I can klick on the place where the icon should be, all is working, only the icon is not shown.
- in FTC, the color of the health, stamina, and magica bars is not shown (just empty, transparent boxes)

All other addons, which I have installed, seem to work properly

Tried already reinstalling ESO (live and PTS), reinstalled the addons ... no change.
On my previous Windows 7 computer, everything still works.
11/12/17, 08:17 AM   #11
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Try the following:
Close the game.
Delete this file "ShaderCache.cooked" located in your "Elder Scrolls Online" folder (the one above the "AddOns" folder).
Login again and try if it helps.
11/13/17, 09:40 PM   #12
Till
Thanks for the answer, I tried this now, but it didn't change anything.
I would be grateful for additional clues.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Help/Support » Is there a problem with the use of DSS (DirectDraw Surface) files in add-ons