01/04/24, 08:31 PM   #1
robert.labrie
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
using GetJounalQuestInfo()

I'm trying to get where I am in a given quest flow via activeStepText from GetJournalQuestInfo

Code:
     local count = GetNumJournalQuests()
     for i = 1, count do
        local name = GetJournalQuestName(i)
        local questName, backgroundText, activeStepText, activeStepType, activeStepTrackerOverrideText, completed, tracked, questLevel, pushed, questType,_ = GetJounalQuestInfo(i)
        -- do other relevant stuff here
     end
It keeps throwing "function expected instead of nil"

I won't pretend to be a Lua expert but I don't see any blatant syntax errors any help would be welome
01/04/24, 11:21 PM   #2
Dolgubon

So, in debugging something that gives an error like that, the first thing to check is what line/piece of code is causing the issue.
You haven't provided line numbers, but the error originates from line 4 of your code snippet. So you can drill down on that particular line.
Looking at the error again, it says 'function expected instead of nil.' Or, in other words, you tried to call a function, but the function was did not exist (nil being similar to null)

So you are trying to call a function that does not exist on line 4, so it's a good idea to then check the functions used on that line closely. If you do /script d(GetJounalQuestInfo) you'll see that the output is nil! Compare that to /script d(GetNumJournalQuests) where you get something like function: 0000012BB24BF7E0.

Now at this point, if you look veeeeery closely, letter by letter, at the function you're calling, you might see the problem.
GetJounalQuestInfo

In this case it was a simple typo, but in cases where it isn't a typo, double checking https://wiki.esoui.com/API for the function name, or maybe inspecting the table (if the function you're trying to call is on a table) using /zgoo or torchbug can help you to find out why a function you're trying to call is nil. For reference, I had to look at the API page for the actual function name before I noticed it was a typo
01/05/24, 03:52 AM   #3
robert.labrie
I swear I copied it from the API page too. Thanks Dolgubon. The rest of the code actually invokes LibLazyCrafting (I'm automating the certification stuff) so thanks for that too.

Cheers,
Robert
01/05/24, 04:47 AM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Hint:

https://wiki.esoui.com/API
!!!Is outdated (as the top lines of that wiki page tells you too) so please always have a look at the proper ESOUI documentation txt files instead which are linked at the Wiki's ESOUI version history!!!

https://wiki.esoui.com/APIVersion
-> live API version
--->
01/05/24, 08:52 AM   #5
robert.labrie
Got it, thanks everyone.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » using GetJounalQuestInfo()