07/21/15, 11:23 AM   #1
kerb9729
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Inspection using the chat window

Perhaps this is common knowledge, but I just discovered that I can do stuff like this in the chat window:

/script d(GetRawUnitName("player"))

(which displays "Mandhingo^Mx" in the chat window when I'm logged in on Mandhingo)

I wish I'd figured this out a week ago, it would have saved me much updating of files and /reloadui!

What other creative ways do you experienced authors use the chat window?

Last edited by kerb9729 : 07/21/15 at 11:36 AM.
07/21/15, 11:59 AM   #2
circonian
Yes, even more useful though is to use an addon that has the ability to run code from within the game. Examples:

Click4Info This addon allows you to
  • Type whatever code you want just like in a lua file & run it from within the game.
  • Allows you to save/reload the code you write.
  • Search for global functions you can use in your code (sort of like looking at the API page on the wiki, but it does not show parameters or returns)
  • Search for constants by name -- For example your trying to figure out what kinds of ITEMTYPEs there are or what values they represent you can search for ITEMTYPE and it will show you all constants with that text in them & their values (if you turn on show values).
  • Search for Constants by value -- For example if your debugging some returned ITEMTYPE and your debug code says its the value 4, you can search for the value 4 and it will give you a list of all constants with a value of 4 then you can just look for which one is an ITEMTYPE and you know which ITEMTYPE it returned.
  • Save slash commands (with a favorites list) and run them at the click of a button. -- Saving slash commands is very useful for /zgoo xxxxx (or any) slash commands you use often or just to save it as a reference to objects you don't want to forget about that you may need later.

ZAM Notebook
  • Type whatever code you want just like in a lua file & run it from within the game.

Notebook
07/22/15, 07:27 AM   #3
kerb9729
Originally Posted by circonian View Post
Yes, even more useful though is to use an addon that has the ability to run code from within the game. Examples:

Click4Info This addon allows you to
  • Search for global functions you can use in your code (sort of like looking at the API page on the wiki, but it does not show parameters or returns)
  • Search for constants by name -- For example your trying to figure out what kinds of ITEMTYPEs there are or what values they represent you can search for ITEMTYPE and it will show you all constants with that text in them & their values (if you turn on show values).
  • Search for Constants by value -- For example if your debugging some returned ITEMTYPE and your debug code says its the value 4, you can search for the value 4 and it will give you a list of all constants with a value of 4 then you can just look for which one is an ITEMTYPE and you know which ITEMTYPE it returned.
  • Save slash commands (with a favorites list) and run them at the click of a button. -- Saving slash commands is very useful for /zgoo xxxxx (or any) slash commands you use often or just to save it as a reference to objects you don't want to forget about that you may need later.

ZAM Notebook

Notebook
edit -- I couldn't figure out how to upvote your post so I did it for the thread

I have been using CLick4Info, but I never realized that I could execute commands in it. It's been extremely useful just as a function search tool.

I didn't realize I could do that with ZAM Notebook either.

Last edited by kerb9729 : 07/22/15 at 07:30 AM.
07/22/15, 03:45 PM   #4
circonian
Originally Posted by kerb9729 View Post
edit -- I couldn't figure out how to upvote your post so I did it for the thread

I have been using CLick4Info, but I never realized that I could execute commands in it. It's been extremely useful just as a function search tool.

I didn't realize I could do that with ZAM Notebook either.
Yeah, I never really finished the UI, it still has those ugly < & > buttons at the top of the window...click the < & > buttons at the top to open the other windows, the > button on the far right is the one that opens the script window. Look at the pictures posted on the addon page, they have some info listed on them.

Last edited by circonian : 07/22/15 at 03:54 PM.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Tutorials & Other Helpful Info » Inspection using the chat window