04/30/18, 09:10 AM   #1
DesertDwellers
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Problem with World Map on PTS (Summerset)

Currently experiencing a problem with the world map on the PTS. I am maintaining FCM Quest Tracker addon, and with the addon running if you click on the none focused quest marker on the map to change quests I get this error.

EsoUI/Ingame/ZO_Quest/QuestTracker.lua:438: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
EsoUI/Ingame/ZO_Quest/QuestTracker.lua:438: in function 'ZO_Tracker:ForceAssist'
EsoUI/Ingame/Map/WorldMap.lua:2008: in function 'callback'
EsoUI/Ingame/Map/WorldMap.lua:2491: in function 'ZO_WorldMap_HandlePinClicked'
ZO_MapPin0_MouseUp:5: in function '(main chunk)'

I assume it is the addon, becuase the error does not occur if the addon is not added. I get similiar results when you try to make it active from the Journal.

I know all uses of QUEST_TRACKER now call the same functions on FOCUSED_QUEST_TRACKER. The addon itself works fine, any changes to the focused quest in the addon do update to the game.

Is there additional changes I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated.
04/30/18, 11:41 AM   #2
Dolgubon

The pts is generally not supported by add-ons, because authors need time to update.
04/30/18, 11:44 AM   #3
Rhyono
He IS the current author of the addon in question. He's asking for help figuring it out.
04/30/18, 12:55 PM   #4
DesertDwellers
Yes that is correct, I am the current author, and struggling to find a solution. Thank you Rhyono.
04/30/18, 02:04 PM   #5
Dolgubon

Originally Posted by Rhyono View Post
He IS the current author of the addon in question. He's asking for help figuring it out.
Oops, sorry. I guess I didn't read it closely enough. And didn't notice the part of the forums it was posted on.
05/03/18, 05:52 PM   #6
DesertDwellers
Stilling having an issue, I will be the first to admit I am still new at the addon programming, so maybe I am missing something very obvious, I have more detail than I did.

Error I am getting with FCM Quest Tracker loaded, and only that one (I am the Author), is this.

Code:
EsoUI/Ingame/ZO_Quest/QuestTracker.lua:436: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
	EsoUI/Ingame/ZO_Quest/QuestTracker.lua:436: in function 'ZO_Tracker:ForceAssist'
	EsoUI/Ingame/Map/WorldMap.lua:2008: in function 'callback'
	EsoUI/Ingame/Map/WorldMap.lua:2491: in function 'ZO_WorldMap_HandlePinClicked'
	ZO_MapPin0_MouseUp:5: in function '(main chunk)'
Similiar errors occur when I click on a qust on the map to make it the focused quest, or the quest on the side of the map in the quest list, or if I click the quest from the journal.

The only thing in the error different i sthe last three lines, here are they respectively clicking on the right side in quest list, and the other in clicking on a quest in the journal.

Code:
stack traceback:
	EsoUI/Ingame/ZO_Quest/QuestTracker.lua:436: in function 'ZO_Tracker:ForceAssist'
	EsoUI/Ingame/Map/Keyboard/WorldMapQuests_Keyboard.lua:68: in function 'WorldMapQuests:QuestHeader_OnClicked'
	EsoUI/Ingame/Map/Keyboard/WorldMapQuests_Keyboard.lua:95: in function 'ZO_WorldMapQuestHeader_OnMouseUp'
	ZO_WorldMapQuestsPaneScrollChildHeader1Name_MouseUp:3: in function '(main chunk)'

Code:
stack traceback:
	EsoUI/Ingame/ZO_Quest/Keyboard/QuestJournal_Keyboard.lua:121: in function 'TreeEntryOnSelected'
	EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Tree/ZO_Tree.lua:697: in function 'ZO_TreeNode:OnSelected'
	EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Tree/ZO_Tree.lua:403: in function 'ZO_Tree:SelectNode'
	EsoUI/Libraries/ZO_Tree/ZO_Tree.lua:880: in function 'ZO_TreeEntry_OnMouseUp'
	EsoUI/Ingame/ZO_Quest/Keyboard/QuestJournal_Keyboard.lua:493: in function 'ZO_QuestJournalNavigationEntry_OnMouseUp'
	ZO_QuestJournalNavigationContainerScrollChildZO_QuestJournalNavigationEntry1_MouseUp:3: in function '(main chunk)'
The function ZO_Tracker:ForceAssist is not being called from my code, nor any of the functions listed in either message are. I am sure there is a problem in my code, since if I unload the addon all these work fine.

Currently I am debugging, and I said all this to ask, does anyone know if there is something that has changed such as event, or in code that could be causing this. I know that may be hard question to answer without seeing all the code. At the least if I can get a direction to go that would be great.

Thanks for your time.
05/04/18, 01:20 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
If both the ways prodce an error your addon must have something called which both functions call/change in the end.
The error says there is something NIL which shouldn't be nil.
Check the function ZO_Tracker:ForceAssist and see what variables are used as parameters or inside the line where the error occurs (436).
Try to find out in the code of esoui where the variables get filled and work your way back to the point where you have changed these variables in your code (or a reference to them like ZO_Tracker e.g.).

Source code files of PTS are not on gitter already afaik but Cairenn has posted them here:
http://tiny.cc/Calia-APIUploads

You can download it and check the file in EsoUI/Ingame/ZO_Quest/QuestTracker.lua and work your way backwards.
05/04/18, 07:41 AM   #8
ZOS_ChipHilseberg
ZOS Staff!
Premium Member
Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
If it's erroring there then it's likely that a quest is set as tracked on the client side but isn't on the tracker so it is failing to find the tracker entry. Calling ForceAssist on a quest that has been marked as tracked not using the quest tracker won't work.
05/04/18, 10:05 AM   #9
DesertDwellers
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
If both the ways prodce an error your addon must have something called which both functions call/change in the end.
The error says there is something NIL which shouldn't be nil.
Check the function ZO_Tracker:ForceAssist and see what variables are used as parameters or inside the line where the error occurs (436).
Try to find out in the code of esoui where the variables get filled and work your way back to the point where you have changed these variables in your code (or a reference to them like ZO_Tracker e.g.).

Source code files of PTS are not on gitter already afaik but Cairenn has posted them here:
http://tiny.cc/Calia-APIUploads

You can download it and check the file in EsoUI/Ingame/ZO_Quest/QuestTracker.lua and work your way backwards.
Thank you Baertram.

Originally Posted by ZOS_ChipHilseberg View Post
If it's erroring there then it's likely that a quest is set as tracked on the client side but isn't on the tracker so it is failing to find the tracker entry. Calling ForceAssist on a quest that has been marked as tracked not using the quest tracker won't work.
Thanks Chip.

Both suggestions gives me areas to diagnose, and look at. Especially helpful to understand how the game code connects.

The addon works on live (100022 of course), and I do not get these errors. The errors are actually not happening to the addon, but when you select the quest to be assisted in either the map or the journal. Becuase of the error the assisted quest does not change. I just wanted to point that out in case you can think of some change that happened that would break from the addon. Guess not sure how the addon is breaking the map at this point.

I will keep digging, again both your comments are helpful.
05/04/18, 06:39 PM   #10
DesertDwellers
Got a question.

I may have found part of the issue, but not sure entirely how to fix it.

In the old code there was this call to update the compass/quest list (least that is what it says in the comments).

ZO_QuestTracker["tracker"]:InitialTrackingUpdate()

I cannot find what it should be pointing to in Summerset (100023), I thought it was ZO_Tracker:InitialTrackingUpdate(), but it does not appear to be.

Any help would be appreciated.
05/05/18, 01:30 PM   #11
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
ZO_Tracker in API 10022 is a kind of "class" for the variable QUEST_TRACKER.
You build an object QUEST_TRACKER using the methods and attributes defined in ZO_Tracker.

See file questtracker.lua:
https://github.com/esoui/esoui/blob/...esttracker.lua

Lua Code:
  1. function ZO_QuestTracker_OnInitialized(self)
  2.     QUEST_TRACKER = ZO_Tracker:New(self, GetControl(self, "Container"))
  3.     ZO_QuestTracker.tracker = QUEST_TRACKER
  4. end

So calling QUEST_TRACKER.InitialTrackingUpdate() should do the trick.
Not sure if it's the same on PTS though.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » General Authoring Discussion » Problem with World Map on PTS (Summerset)