04/18/15, 08:55 AM   #1
pills
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Raid Calendar

This is a bit of a braindump more than anything, but I have been thinking about it lately and I think its possible (although perhaps a bit clunky due to the API limitations) to make something that is useful and people would use/appreciate. The problem is I don't have, nor want to develop it or fully support it as I cant even keep up with the ones I have (btw if anyone wants to take those over holler). I am willing to help someone get this going if they think it will be useful or fun and can provide examples of how this stuff could work.

High level functionality:
A a calendar ui that shows as links in the guild color set by the user (from the social settings) the event name and a local time next to it. The user can click the link and have the link handler pop open the "details" page where they can see the event details (description, coordinator, guild name, etc) as well as respond.

When a player responds it will generate a formatted mail to the coordinator (listed in the event details) with specifics such as class, availablity, etc (may need to be selectable fields instead of auto generated as player be on a different toon). They can then send their RSVP to the coordinator.

To start an event you can select "create" from the ui and if you are an officer or higher in the guild you select to create an event for it will take you to a template UI where you can provide a description, date/time, whether or not signups are necessary. A link for that event type with all of the details will be generated and mailed out along with whatever custom text the coordinator wants to provide (May need to integrate with a guild mail addon)

When a user opens their inbox messages will be scraped for the links (or special text) and used to update the users calendar.

----

These are just some thoughts on how this can work and is similar to an addon I made for an old guild to get achievment updates and such from guildies so the officers to could publicize peoples progress every once in awhile.

what do people think?
04/20/15, 02:27 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Imo this is a good idea but waste of time for an ingame solution.
The game's api is not meant to support such projects and sending everything by mail? My mailboy is autofull at the moment because everyone is sending stuff, I get rewards etc.
So what about mails from an ingame raid planer that simply won't reach me

There are many raid calenders available outside the game and thus even browsable as you sit in the train on your way back home from work etc.
My experience with raids and registering for it:
Ppl do it properly, ingame or outside a game, if they are interested in raiding. And they want it easy and managed automatically. So I'd stay with eqdkp+ and others, like this solution here maybe:

http://www.esoui.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Raid Calendar