08/15/17, 12:47 PM   #1
Shinni
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Sticky a message to the top of the comment section

I would like to be able to sticky a comment to the top of an addon's comment section, or the option to have some text always displayed on the top of the comment section.
Users often post comments regarding issues that are already fixed, covered in the FAQ, not related to the addon, not containing requested information etc.
I don't want to give the same answers/requests over and over again, so I would like display some text starting with a nice fat red "READ BEFORE POSTING".
Adding that to the addon description doesn't help, because noone reads the addon description of an addon they already know, but I hope it has more effect if that text is right next to the post-comment-button.
08/15/17, 02:56 PM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I second this request. Many users do not read the addon description nor 10 pages of comments. Some bugfixes and infos at the top of the comments would help a lot.
08/15/17, 02:58 PM   #3
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Stickies wouldn't be too difficult.

Or would maybe an announcements box that shows above the comments work better? Something a little more eye catching than a sticky.
08/15/17, 03:00 PM   #4
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I think this would be even better, yes.
Maybe (as an extra option) makle the box collapsable and remmeber the state for the user, so already read infos can be collapsed to save place (as the text might get long in there...)

The hint Shinni mentioned, next to the "Post comment", would be great then to remind the user about the (collapsed) box.
08/15/17, 03:16 PM   #5
sirinsidiator

making it collapsible may defeat the purpose if it doesn't uncollapse when it is changed.
08/15/17, 10:23 PM   #6
Scootworks

hmmm or maybe put it from addons author to the addon as well:

08/16/17, 01:41 AM   #7
Shinni
Originally Posted by Scootworks View Post
hmmm or maybe put it from addons author to the addon as well:

Many users just don't read FAQs before posting.
There is a FAQ right on the addon's front page www.esoui.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=57#info
I keep getting the same questions over and over again that are already answered in my FAQ.
08/16/17, 04:36 AM   #8
Scootworks

i think the problem is, that the FAQ are in the addon portal section and not on the addon page. to be honest: who reads the description of an addon, when you use the addon since 3 years?

if you have a faq button next to comments, maybe it would be better
08/17/17, 04:38 PM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Believe me, it won#t be better :-)
Working with customers of all sorts, educational degrees and all of them just don't like reading text if it's not THEIR SPECIALIZED text to THEIR QUESTION.

I guess a FAQ directly at the addon page would be helping too but we need a button to anwer with an automatic message: RTFM -> (clickable link to addon FAQ)

ESOUI » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Sticky a message to the top of the comment section