05/25/17, 02:19 PM   #1
Atlan

Do DDS files work under macOS?

Closed and moved to: AddOn Help/Support

For some time destination and some other addons stopped working under macOS. Most notably the icons where not displayed.

It did work in the past and other player reported no problems. So I started to look around the program and noticed the DDS files. Looking up DDS it seem an image format for DirectX. Of course no DirectX on the Mac.

Could that be a problem? Will converting the images and patching the lua files help?

Last edited by Atlan : 05/27/17 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Closing as I was told this is the wrong group.
05/26/17, 01:14 PM   #2
Atlan

Arrow

To answer my own question: macOS can't load DDS files and converting them to PNG and patching the lua Flles does work.

Last edited by Atlan : 05/27/17 at 12:48 AM.
05/27/17, 12:43 AM   #3
Atlan

Arrow Or could it be only the new Direct3D 10 format

I correct myself (again). PNG won't work either. What I noticed is that QuestMap has two icon sets. One set that work and one that does not. The sets are defined like this:

Code:
--[[

Quest Map
by CaptainBlagbird
https://github.com/CaptainBlagbird

--]]

QuestMap.iconSets = {
    QuestMap = {"QuestMap/icons/pinQuestUncompleted.dds", "QuestMap/icons/pinQuestCompleted.dds"},
    ESO = {"/esoui/art/floatingmarkers/quest_available_icon.dds", "/esoui/art/icons/achievements_indexicon_quests_down.dds"},
The 2nd set works. I have been looking for the files mentioned but could not find them anywhere. But I noticed that those file too are DDS files. I suspect they are part of the system.

Looking deeper I noticed that with Direct3D 10 the DDS format was changed / extended.

So could it be that macOS can't load the newest format? And how can I could I convert them to an older format?
05/27/17, 04:02 AM   #4
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Hi Atlan,

Please stop posting the same thing in two different threads in the wrong forums (you should have posted it to addon help instead), but seeing that nobody has answered so far I suggest you move your question on the official mac technical support forum, as we do not seem have any mac users here.

To answer one part of your question, the operating system has nothing to do with which format a game uses for its textures. DDS files can be loaded on any system as it is just a container and the game will have a library to read it. Changing file formats to something that is not supported by ESO (png) won't help at all.
05/27/17, 11:17 AM   #5
Atlan

Arrow DSS (DirectDraw Surface) is a Microsoft prohibitory format

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
the operating system has nothing to do with which format a game
uses for its textures.
DSS (DirectDraw Surface) is a Microsoft prohibitory format format for storing textures. So it has a lot to do with the operating system because only Microsoft Windows can open DSS without additional help

DDS files can be loaded on any system as it is just a container and the game will have a library to read it.
Will the game have the library? And will it be up to date?

On Microsoft Windows the library is build into Direct X. And Microsoft will update the library and keep it up to date.

On macOS or Playstation you would need special libraries not made by Microsoft. Those libraries might be outdated, have reduced functionality or a different set of bugs.

I noticed that one add on after the other stopped displaying icons on macOS. While the game itself is not affected.

Changing file formats to something that is not supported by ESO (png) won't help at all.

I already notice that by try and error and I am now looking for a way to check if perhaps the DDS library is outdated while ad on developers switched to a newer format.

I'll try the other two places you mentioned with the new informations I have gathered.

Last edited by Atlan : 05/27/17 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
05/27/17, 11:24 AM   #6
Ayantir

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
It works without problems since years, no need to investiguate.

delete whole elder scrolls online folder in your document folder, restart game, redownload an addon and test.
05/27/17, 11:46 AM   #7
Atlan

Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
It works without problems since years, no need to investiguate.

It dosen't work and makes problem. It stopped working a few month ago. I would not started the thread if it worked without problems . I guess I have to make screenshots as prove.

As suggested I moved the discussion to AddOn Help/Support

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Graphics Help » Do DDS files work under macOS?