09/05/18, 12:06 PM   #1
MisterDahveed
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Looking for way to replace in-game quest pins (floating quest markers above NPC)

Hey there.

I'm not sure why but when I see the black (or white) arrows above NPC heads it really bugs me.

I use a very minimal UI when I play, I mostly just do casual PvE questing stuff. I have almost all the UI stuff turned off while I play, however I don't want to miss any quests so I leave the "quest giver" marker on.

I'm just wondering if there is an addon out there which gives me different options for the texture/icon that is used for the arrow floating above the quest-giver's head. Something prettier or less obtrusive than a giant black arrow.

If anyone has any suggestions, or can tell me where to find this in the game files or whatever, I'd be very appreciative!

Thanks!
09/05/18, 12:42 PM   #2
Schaf92
Originally Posted by MisterDahveed View Post
I have almost all the UI stuff turned off while I play, however I don't want to miss any quests so I leave the "quest giver" marker on.
I think PinKiller does what you want. It's hasn't been updated in quite a while, but I think it still works if you enable out-of-date addons.
09/05/18, 02:29 PM   #3
MisterDahveed
Originally Posted by Schaf92 View Post
I think PinKiller does what you want. It's hasn't been updated in quite a while, but I think it still works if you enable out-of-date addons.
I already have pinkiller. It doesn't change the UI icon, which is what I want to do. I can remove the icon if I want (I don't want to remove it, because I don't want to miss quests), but I just want to *replace* it with something less obtrusive but still visible.

Thanks for your suggestion anyways.
09/05/18, 02:56 PM   #4
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
SetFloatingMarkerInfo(MAP_PIN_TYPE_QUEST_OFFER, 32, "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_available_icon.dds", "", PULSES)
09/05/18, 03:49 PM   #5
MisterDahveed
Originally Posted by ZOS_DanBatson View Post
SetFloatingMarkerInfo(MAP_PIN_TYPE_QUEST_OFFER, 32, "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_available_icon.dds", "", PULSES)
Hi! What does this code do exactly, and where would I place it?

Thanks!
09/06/18, 05:51 AM   #6
Xerge
Originally Posted by ZOS_DanBatson View Post
Looks like this script would make the quest marker above NPC heads exceptionally large and with a pulse effect. I would love an addon that was able to change it more easily; right now I find the current NPC head markers to be bland I have troubles spotting them where as if they had color and a different shape perhaps.
09/06/18, 06:35 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
You could try this script DanBatson provided (thanks) ingame via the chat, like this:

btw: PULSES is a variable and can be true or false to add an "pulse" animation, or not.

/script SetFloatingMarkerInfo(MAP_PIN_TYPE_QUEST_OFFER, 32, "EsoUI/Art/FloatingMarkers/quest_available_icon.dds", "", true)

This should chnage the quest marker to a 32pixles high (standard height btw. I guess) pulsing quest marker icon.

If you want to replace the texture you can use any other texture ingame (check addon TextureIt to get a list and search function, to find another texture path within EsoUI/Art/......./xxxxxx.dds).
You can change the height/width by changing the 32 to a higher/lower value, and you can change the pulse variable at the end to false to kill the animation.
09/07/18, 09:07 AM   #8
ZOS_DanBatson
ZOS Staff!

Yes this person is from ZeniMax!
Yea, the format for the function is:

SetFloatingMarkerInfo(markerType [MapDisplayPinType], size [float], primaryTexturePath [string], secondaryTexturePath [string], primaryPulses [bool], secondaryPulses [bool])

32 is the standard size we use for all our floating markers. The secondary texture is typically used for breadcrumbing, which wouldn't apply here. You should be able to call this function from just about anywhere in any addon.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Looking for way to replace in-game quest pins (floating quest markers above NPC)