08/07/16, 05:02 AM   #1
Phinix

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Request @ZOS_ChipHilseberg - Data Sharing and Reference ID

Greetings,

Was cool to see you frequent ESOUI.com and keep track of things, and even help out on the dev forums.

I had a request for a project I wanted to develop that would require some adjustments on your side to facilitate. Specifically, I want to hook into the display of health bars/nameplates in order to create custom "marks" on targets. Anyone who ever played WoW knows immediately what I mean.

In order to do this a couple things would be needed:

1. A method of sharing information between clients through the addon API. This could be as simple as numerical or text string blocks and possibly even piggyback on the chat interface through an invisible channel. Either way, the only method of information sharing now is map pings which is unreliable beyond 5 digits and also thrown off by actual pings.
  2. Some globally accessible method of hooking the name plates by unique reference ID. Currently the unique reference ID of individual mobs is obfuscated and inaccessible beyond certain combat events when they are one of the named units ('player', 'reticleover', etc.) and even then maybe not accurate.

With regard to the first, I realize ZOS has a "no DPS meters" policy, however there is nothing currently stopping trials guilds from requiring people to download personal DPS addons like FTC and posting their dps to chat, so the point is really moot.

With such a data sharing interface, people would still have to choose to download an addon or not, and in the case of any I made, would have to manually enable such a function with all appropriate warnings. I do not see the detriment and a simple data sharing interface would open up a TON of creative possibilities.

As for the 2nd, this would also provide a more robust means of tracking "invisible" procs like Beast Trap on targets when mousing off and back that wasn't dependent on name text string matching like my extremely basic solution in Srendarr.

So, what do you think? Any chance of such things making it into our arsenal of API tools?

Last edited by Phinix : 08/07/16 at 05:05 AM.
08/07/16, 06:42 AM   #2
Ayantir

If they does

A method of sharing information between clients through the addon API.
In less than 2 days, you'll have a group DPS meter wich will pop from an unknown dev.

It will require at least Cairenn and Dolby to prevent this.
+ the help of few website admin (tamrielfoundry, reddit, official forums, elderscrolls.net maybe others sites).

Huge message on addon upload :

ZOS DON'T WANT A GROUP DPS METER, IF YOU PUBLISH A GROUP DPS METER, ZOS WILL DROP THIS FEATURE FOR ALL OTHER ADDONS, PLEASE DON'T RELEASE A GROUP DPS METER. IF YOU DO SO WE WILL REMOVE IT.

And yes, I would like this feature too for other purposes.
For Nameplates, I already posted a long whishlit, I don't think they'll ever publish it a day.

Remember, money first.
08/07/16, 06:53 AM   #3
QuadroTony
Banned
i will create group DPS meter as soon as possible and will upload it to as many forums and sites as i can

trust me
08/07/16, 06:59 AM   #4
Ayantir

See ?

I don't know why, I'm not surprized.
08/07/16, 07:45 AM   #5
Phinix

Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
See ?

I don't know why, I'm not surprized.
Tony likes to post dumb/rude things just to be annoying. I seriously doubt he has the skills to do any such thing.

As far as someone making a group DPS meter though, it really doesn't matter. The DPS sharing wouldn't have anything to do with a data sharing function and so, still would not be directly available through the API.

In order for someone to have their DPS available to others, they would have to CHOOSE to install the addon. If they did not install the addon, their DPS would not be available.

Simple as that.

Last edited by Phinix : 08/07/16 at 07:56 AM.
08/07/16, 08:01 AM   #6
Ayantir

That's a good remark ^^

Well, maybe.
After there is also the network issue. Add limitations, (100 / 10s?) etc.

Lua Code:
  1. for i, 5 do
  2.     for j, 500 do
  3.         SendMessageToGuildmate(i, j)
  4.     end
  5. end

= 2500 messages sent, what about replies?
"Broadcasting" on the "say" channel, the "tell" too.
08/07/16, 08:13 AM   #7
QuadroTony
Banned
its not rude to know group DPS
im against ZOS decigion do not allow it
as soon as i become Director of Zenimax, i will change this hidden rule
08/07/16, 08:21 AM   #8
Phinix

Originally Posted by Ayantir View Post
...there is also the network issue.
No need to allow sending to all guild mates in my way of thinking. Most people don't talk to most of their guild.

I am thinking just the ability to broadcast to group would suffice. This would allow data communication between groups without significantly increasing network traffic, especially for what most addons would be doing.

As for the potential argument "well elite groups would require downloading a DPS sharing addon in order to join!" These groups already require you to download addons like Combat Metrics or FTC and manually share your DPS anyway.

Solution there is: Don't run with these type of people. Just like I leave trade guilds that start requiring large weekly gold donations. You still have a choice not to participate.

But a simpler solution would be, make excluding people for refusal to download a particular addon a ban-able offense.
08/08/16, 07:46 AM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
I think adding custom marker to enemies/players would be a cool thing to get dungeon runs better organized!

They should just implement this by addin keybindings tot he Ui where you are able to let's say add up to 10 different markers icons (a skull, a shield, a cross, etc.) to an enemy, biy just focussing him (clicking him with mouse pointer mode activated before the fight or even infight) and pressing the desired keybinding key.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Lua/XML Help » Request @ZOS_ChipHilseberg - Data Sharing and Reference ID