01/10/17, 08:37 AM   #1
tunepunk
Additional Quests? [Request?]

After completing most of the content in game i find myself doing the same dailies over and over and I'm getting pretty tired of it. Same quests over and over. I'm not sure what the capabilities are for addons so I have some questions, about if there would be a way to add additional quests to the game?

1. Would it be possible to add dialogue to NPCs in game? I'm looking towards those who are not usually involved in any particular quests, and doesn't have any significant dialogue. Could talking with those trigger the addon, to popup dialogue from let's say an external source, like a server?

2. I imagine those kind of quests can't be tracked in the regular quest tracker, but maybe a second quest tracker could be made for the additional quests? Or maybe not needed if they are based on Achievments. If you can pull data like dialoge and interactions from a server into eso, then maybe you could store your progress also on server?

3. I doubt you can add any quest rewards except for dialogue, but it's not really needed, or maybe the quests could be based on achievment status. For example. Fishing, Trophy hunter, or other ingame achievments.

4. Can you place markers on certain NPC's, and assign an interaction button to them, to trigger the quests or the quest addon?

This is how I imagine it would work.

Scattered across tamriel are lot's of NPC that don't usually do much. They are just props. I wan't them to randomly give you quests based on your achievements or pulled from a database of premade quests, connected to those NPC. So you're running around and coming across an NPC that usually doesn't have anything particular to say. You trigger the quest, a small dialogue pops up, and you get some waypoints, or instructions.

Examples of quests:
* Travel to This and that dungeon, kill 50 bandits. (Very simple one) if you can track kills of a certain kind?

* Collect trophies from Dwemer constructs. This is an ingame achivement, so the Addon, would mark out places where you could usually find those, and once you finished the quest you get the Achievment. Maybe a collector NPC gives you this quest.

* Fishing quests, Interacting with an NPC, will mark some spots where you could usually find those kind of fish.

* Justice Quests. Randomly across Tamriel NPC's would actually give you quests based on those Achiements, and ask you to murder someone, steal steal stuff, Trespass, butcher, and whatnot.

And much much more....

It just gives you a reason to do all the Achievments in a more rewarding way, instead of just roaming around, doing them on your own accord.

I think Tamriel would feel more alive if there was actually more quests, even end game, when you've completed most regular content.

Any thoughts ideas?
01/11/17, 01:33 PM   #2
sirinsidiator

AddOn Author - Click to view addons
1. I won't say custom dialogues are impossible, but it would require a tremendous amount of work to get it anywhere near usable without breaking anything and you cannot use voicelines (no way to play them). Communicating with an external server while the game is running is a definite no. You cannot send or receive data from an outside source. You could however pack quests into optional addons and let users download those via minion. If such a project gets that far, I think Dolby would even be willing to add a new category for them to esoui to make filtering easy.

2. Same as with the first point. It would probably be possible to add these to the regular quest tracker, but again require a lot of work. Storing on a server is a definite no, but you could save it locally. You would however loose your quest progress since the last ui reload / login whenever the game crashes, because local data is only written to disk at ui reload or when you log out.

3. You can't provide rewards directly, but you could for example lead the user to some place where he can pick up a reward (e.g. a non-random chest), or show them to a place with an especially nice view or something, or as you said use existing achievements.

4. If the NPC never moves it should be possible to fake a quest marker, otherwise you can't know where in the world you should place the 3d marker. Making a fake interaction (=custom dialogue) is possible, but a lot of work as already mentioned.

While it sounds interesting, I don't think there is anyone who has enough time on their hands to make something like that or maintain it. Maybe if ZOS is interested and adds some APIs to make it simpler it would become worth a shot.
01/11/17, 03:31 PM   #3
Ayantir

It's a work in progress for me since months, but as being not really here those times, I would say the count of people being able to do this is maybe .. 4/5 coders. and the count of coders with enought time to do so is nearly 0.

And everything is doable, biggest part is the fake engine.
01/16/17, 09:04 AM   #4
tunepunk
Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
While it sounds interesting, I don't think there is anyone who has enough time on their hands to make something like that or maintain it. Maybe if ZOS is interested and adds some APIs to make it simpler it would become worth a shot.
Yeah i think it could be simplified a lot to make it more reasonable. Quest dialogue is secondary, if you start by keeping it to markers for certain achievements.

Maybe it exists already, but currently I'm working on the Achievements for the monster trophies. I know there is addons for skyshards for example, which is pretty neat, so something similar for other achievements would be nice too, so you know where to go without having to google certain places.

The questing and dialogue part, was more of a spinoff to make it a bit more immersive and fun, but not really necessary, if it's too complicated. For example: interacting with a static NPC, shows a marker for a certain achievement. Once it's done, marker disappears.

Or let's take the Skyshards addon for example. I would imagine skyshard marker's are not shown until you interact with a certain NPC (marked with a quest marker), who basically briefly tells you where to go, and shows where the skyshard is.

Last edited by tunepunk : 01/16/17 at 09:08 AM.
01/16/17, 11:46 AM   #5
sirinsidiator

Irc Destinations already has markers for the monster trophies, but it's not actively maintained right now. Maybe you could take it over instead of making a completely new addon that does the same thing?
01/16/17, 12:52 PM   #6
Ayantir

Originally Posted by sirinsidiator View Post
Irc Destinations already has markers for the monster trophies, but it's not actively maintained right now. Maybe you could take it over instead of making a completely new addon that does the same thing?
No, it's not, please. I'm still here.

But I agree that at least 5 recently released addons could had been some contributions to some existing ones... what a lost of time.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Additional Quests? [Request?]