03/07/18, 09:44 AM   #1
Gamer1986PAN
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Skill deactivation preventer/Wrong-Press-Logger

I was wondering if there was an addon that is able to prevent you from deactivate skills like the "Bound Armor" from a Sorc. Means if the Skill is inactive you are able to activate the skill with pressing the key. But if the Skill is already active you are not able to deactivate it means the function of the key is turned of. If that deactivation option is not possible could you at least log the "wrong-presses" to see what keys you press at the wrong time?

Additionally you could add the feature that you block (or log the wrong-presses) skills like inner light an other skills you only add to your list because of the passives.
Additionally you could add the feature that you block (or log the wrong-presses) your Dot-Skills like you can just reactivate them if the Dot is 2 Seconds (time adjustable) before running out (maybe integrated in Action Duration Reminder).

If you want to press a key that is blocked due to options you should be able to see that in a Notify and in a log after combat depending how your options are.

That could help you a lot with sustain if you have problems with it like i do to learn the rotation of the skills.

By studying the protocol, you can see how often you have used an ability too early and why you consume too much resources (and reduce the damage drop with skills like endless hail using maelstrom-bow).

Hope you can understand what i want and i guess this could be hard to create but i want to know what you think about it and if somebody is willing to give it a shot...
03/07/18, 11:50 AM   #2
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
Why not just move these "skills for passives" to slot 5 and don't touch them anymore?
Or use Srendar to track the abilities of the passive skills in a special list, e.g. bar 7 or 8 which you move to a special place on your UI.

Blocking skills is not possible afaik as you#d need to deactivate the keybind somehow. If this is doable it would be a major problem which should be fixed by ZOs
03/07/18, 12:22 PM   #3
Dolgubon

This is to some extent possible. You must block both bars at the same time though. If you try to block ability 5 you can't block it on one bar only, since keybinda cannot be changed in combat.

It shouldn't be an issue for zos bc it's possible to do manually anyway. I've done it manually a few times before actually. The more complicated features would be an issue, but simply blanket blocking one skill is simple
03/07/18, 01:39 PM   #4
Shinni
Originally Posted by Dolgubon View Post
This is to some extent possible. You must block both bars at the same time though. If you try to block ability 5 you can't block it on one bar only, since keybinda cannot be changed in combat.

It shouldn't be an issue for zos bc it's possible to do manually anyway. I've done it manually a few times before actually. The more complicated features would be an issue, but simply blanket blocking one skill is simple
You can just ZO_PreHook ActionButtonDown to block an ability from being cast. That way you can change the block state even infight without changing keybinds.

ZO_PreHook("ActionButtonDown", function(slot) return slot == blockedSlot end)

edit: apparently abilities are cast on button release, not press. So hook ActionButtonUp instead.

Last edited by Shinni : 03/07/18 at 01:43 PM.
03/07/18, 02:06 PM   #5
Dolgubon

Originally Posted by Shinni View Post
You can just ZO_PreHook ActionButtonDown to block an ability from being cast. That way you can change the block state even infight without changing keybinds.

edit: apparently abilities are cast on button release, not press. So hook ActionButtonUp instead.
Wouldn't that cause 'attempt to use a private function' errors?
03/07/18, 03:36 PM   #6
Shinni
Originally Posted by Dolgubon View Post
Wouldn't that cause 'attempt to use a private function' errors?
ActionButtonUp is not a private function. Yes, it will eventually call a private function further down in the call chain, but that is what ZO_PreHook is for. Hooking with ZO_PreHook does not taint the call chain.
03/07/18, 04:16 PM   #7
Dolgubon

ActionButtonUp is not a private function. Yes, it will eventually call a private function further down in the call chain, but that is what ZO_PreHook is for. Hooking with ZO_PreHook does not taint the call chain.
Oh wow, seriously?? I really wish I'd known that before.
03/07/18, 04:42 PM   #8
Gamer1986PAN
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Why not just move these "skills for passives" to slot 5 and don't touch them anymore?
Or use Srendar to track the abilities of the passive skills in a special list, e.g. bar 7 or 8 which you move to a special place on your UI.

Blocking skills is not possible afaik as you#d need to deactivate the keybind somehow. If this is doable it would be a major problem which should be fixed by ZOs
I already do so, but i trained myself to my main wich is a tank and the button 5 is the "oh ****" heal there. And on my Stam-DD i like that key activates beast trap. Wich makes my magika-chars always cast those inner light skill wich is unnecessary costs there. So my sustain or rota-training could benefit a lot from that i guess...
03/07/18, 04:53 PM   #9
Gamer1986PAN

so you think the request may be doable? would be awesome if someone got the time and feel like to give it a try.

ESOUI » AddOns » AddOn Search/Requests » Skill deactivation preventer/Wrong-Press-Logger