AddOn Author - Click to view addons
[outdated] Only parse the manifest txt file

For an add-on to work the file structure hast to be like this:

Code:
AddOns/
└── MyAddOn/
    ├── MyAddOn.txt
    └── other_files_or_folders
If the manifest file doesn't have the same name as the folder then the other files (lua etc.) aren't loaded (update, see EDIT). However it will still be visible in-game under ADD-ONS, even with the specified metadata if available. This applies to all txt files in the MyAddOn folder (not for subfolders).

In my opinion it would be better if only the txt file with the same name as the folder would be used and all other txt files ignored. That way it would also be possible to have a README.txt or similar in the folder.

The other option would be to allow all txt files in the folder and also include the listed files of all the txt files.

The way it currently is just doesn't make much sense in my opinion and is only confusing.

EDIT:
Files listed inside of any txt file (located in AddOns/*/) are loaded, but the path is relative to the file name (more info this post).

Last edited by CaptainBlagbird : 01/09/16 at 08:09 AM.

11/14/15, 06:17 PM   #2
haggen

Thumbs up

Agreed, loading ANY text files in the add-on folder ain't smart IMO.

I don't know about matching the file name and directory name, but maybe using a different extension or something. After all "txt" should be a regular text file.

11/14/15, 06:45 PM   #3
CaptainBlagbird

Originally Posted by haggen View Post
maybe using a different extension
That would also be a solution, but it would make all current add-ons incompatible.

Originally Posted by haggen View Post
I don't know about matching the file name and directory name
Apparently the game already checks that, but only for the file list part in the txt file, not the metadata part. Only the files listed in the correct txt file (with the same name as the folder) are being loaded.

ESOUI » Developer Discussions » Wish List » [outdated] Only parse the manifest txt file