10/31/15, 04:24 PM   #1
Cavanoskus
Premium Member

Premium Member
Report bad ads?

Sorry if this is already written somewhere, but how do I go about reporting a bad advertisement? I was browsing http://www.esoui.com/downloads/cat24.html and had opened an addon link or two in a new tab, then noticed the previous tab had forwarded itself three times to a Nissan page (choosenissan.com, followed by a redirect to my local area, followed by another redirect to a specific deals page).

I don't mind ads because I know they support the site, which is why on principle I never use adblock, but I really don't like ads that redirect me to a different site or otherwise completely take over the tab they are open in.
11/01/15, 09:20 AM   #2
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
ugh thats horrible.

I've sent this on to our ad team to investigate and remove. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for reporting this!

Last edited by Dolby : 11/01/15 at 09:26 AM.
11/02/15, 04:21 PM   #3
Cavanoskus
Premium Member

Premium Member
No problem, and thanks!

Now all I have to do is shake this persistent subliminal urge to buy a new car
11/04/15, 05:28 AM   #4
Cavanoskus
Premium Member

Premium Member
Another Bad Ad

I had my Favorites open in a tab and was looking at something else, when all of a sudden I got a dialog box confirming the download of a "Firefox security patch." The ESOUI tab had changed to this: (see attachment)

This is not at all how Firefox updates operate, and it had actually just updated about an hour ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fake-firefox-update.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	643  
11/04/15, 07:06 AM   #5
Dolby
Every day I'm shuffling

Premium Member
WoWInterface Admin
Ugh, I'm so sorry. I have contacted our ad people again and shared this with them so they can hunt it down.

I browse and leave the site with ads enabled myself and have not experienced this yet. I always like to see what ads are showing myself.
11/04/15, 12:20 PM   #6
Cavanoskus
Premium Member

Premium Member
So far these redirect-style ads only happen when I switch to a new tab. The old tab, where I left ESOUI open, turns into an ad while I'm not looking at it, sometimes after several minutes.
11/05/15, 03:54 AM   #7
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Maybe it is not related to this website but to a malicious browser plugin for firefox/chrome/iexplorer you are using? Did you check your plugins, scanned your hard drive for viruses and used malware removers like "Spybot Search And Destroy" in the past days to approve it is not "your pc setup" who manipulates your local
browser?

I'm asking because I never got any ad or stuff like this from esoui.com in the past 3 years?!
11/05/15, 07:12 AM   #8
Cavanoskus
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Maybe it is not related to this website but to a malicious browser plugin for firefox/chrome/iexplorer you are using? Did you check your plugins, scanned your hard drive for viruses and used malware removers like "Spybot Search And Destroy" in the past days to approve it is not "your pc setup" who manipulates your local
browser?

I'm asking because I never got any ad or stuff like this from esoui.com in the past 3 years?!
No malicious browser plugins here. I use the triple-threat of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Spybot Search And Destroy, and Spywareblaster. All are up to date, as is my antivirus. I keep my computer squeaky clean. Maybe the ads are geotargeted and you're out of their area?
11/06/15, 03:07 AM   #9
Baertram
Super Moderator

WoWInterface Super Mod
AddOn Author - Click to view addons
Good point with the geo stuff, or you simply used to visit other websites that "promoted" you for new adds
11/06/15, 10:59 AM   #10
Cavanoskus
Premium Member

Premium Member
Originally Posted by Baertram View Post
Good point with the geo stuff, or you simply used to visit other websites that "promoted" you for new adds
Lol, I'd say my internet usage is fairly normal, but being a writer I am prone to all kinds of bizarre google searches

ESOUI » Site Forums » Site help, bugs, suggestions/questions » Report bad ads?